Creating & Using Video
Video can be a fun and impactful way to engage with your students if it is done well. We do not currently offer video services but please see guidelines and options for professionals below.
All videos need to be captioned to follow accessibility guidelines.
Kaltura is the video hosting service for Weber State. Either you or SA Marketing can upload videos (.mov or .mp4) to Kaltura to then embed the video on your website.
- You are in-charge of captioning your videos.
- You will find Kaltura as the video management tool in your eWeber Portal or at videos.weber.edu and you will have to login to single sign-on.
- Kaltura does auto-caption when you upload a video. It generally takes 24 hrs and you will have to edit the captions because auto-captioning is not 100% perfect.
- If you save Zoom video recordings to the cloud, they are uploaded to Kaltura.
How to Caption in Kaltura
→Other Captioning Options
- If you have a YouTube account for your department (please use generic department email to create an account), upload the video and you can use the auto-captioning tool to auto caption your video - then you just make edits to the captioning to fix anything that was captioned incorrectly by the tool.
- Adding captions to video on Facebook
- Adding captions to video in Instagram (auto-generating captions)
- If you are captioning a video specifically to meet an accommodation of a student, contact Disability Services. There may be a fee for this service.
- Contact Creative Academic Technology Solutions (CATS) for paid caption work.
- Live Captioning
- Captioning Social Media Videos
- Contact Dani (firstname.lastname@example.org) if all else fails. SA Marketing may be able to help you with your captioning needs.
Want to Create Your Own Video?
- Create video in
- Kaltura (in your eWeber Portal)
- Edit video in
Video Tools and Training
→Video Best Practices
- WSU Video Guidelines and Best Practices
- Be sure to get a photo/video release for any persons in the video or a republishing of a speaker/training.
- All videos must be captioned (see resources above)
Video Upload and Sharing:
- To add to website: Send .MP4 or .mov files to Dani (email@example.com) to upload into Kaltura or embed code from video already uploaded to Kaltura or YouTube.
- If you want an online event with your video, please let SA Marketing know a month in advance of the event.
- To add to your social media accounts:
- You can upload your video on Facebook, YouTube, & Instagram. (There are sharing options to cross share from these platforms, but they don’t work well. It is best to upload the video to each medium separately.)
- Add to Student Affairs social media (contact Dani firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Add to WSU social media (contact Jessica Kokesh email@example.com x7581)
Need Crowd Release?
Is your event in a crowded place where you will be taking pictures or video of the event and it may not be possible to get signed photo releases from every person?
You can check out crowd release posters and lawn signs from us to post on the day of your event to ensure that your images can be legally used.
Contact Dani to check out signs.
*Remember to take pictures of the posted signage at your event for reference.
First, we recommend that you contact Dani McKean to discuss your goals for a video. We will discuss the best approach for your needs and audience. We can explore other options if a video is not the best fit for your needs. We will also create a plan for disseminating the video through other mediums once it is created.
- Creative Academic Technology Solutions (CATS)
- If your video supports academic needs and is wide-reaching
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get a project request form
- Studio 76
- Marketing & Communications in-house videographer
- Request at least a week in advance
- $30/hour for weekday office hours (more for after hours and weekends)
- Contact Rachel Badali email@example.com 801-626-7362
Zoom Video Best Practices
Zoom is a video conferencing service that allows you to stay in contact remotely with colleagues, classmates, and students and schedule meetings. Similar to Google Hangout and Skype it is used by companies and universities for remote communication.
→Prepare for the Meeting:
- Login to WSU Zoom
- Decide whether you will use one monitor or two
- Get a headset and microphone if you have them, to reduce background noise
- Test your audio and video
- Review how to share your screen beforehand
- Make sure to close any unnecessary tabs in your browser
→Present Your Best Self:
- Lighting should come from in front of you or from the side, in order to best light your face
- Dress how you would if you were at work
- Look at your webcam, not at the screen
- Try to keep your camera angle at head-on and at eye level
- Use gestures and mannerisms that you would typically use in person
Advanced Zoom Training
→Background Best Practices:
- Keep your background clear of distractions
- Find a quiet place free of background noises
- As a courtesy to others, please keep your mic muted unless you are talking
- Display a work-appropriate image or video as your background during a Zoom Meeting
- Make sure everyone can hear you
- Use a microphone when you speak - make sure the microphone is on and close enough to pick up your voice, no matter what location you are in
- Help everyone focus by not having side conversations
- If you aren't talking, mute or turn off your microphone
- Avoid noisy activities like typing while your microphone is on
→If you are the Host:
- Secure your Zoom meetings to prevent unwanted guests
- Review your host controls and meeting settings ahead of time
- Share housekeeping details with attendees
- Remind them to mute their mics when others are presenting or speaking
- Let them know how they can get your attention during the meeting
- Will you be checking the chat window?
- Should they unmute themselves to speak up?
- Record your meeting (you can also set up automatic recordings)
- Troubleshoot audio problems if they arise
- More Zoom Tutorial Videos
- Zoom Online Help Center
- Tips to Prevent Getting Zoombombed
- LinkedIn Learning Zoom Trainings
- Zoom Polls
- WSU Zoom Video Conferencing Account Creation
- Web Captioner add on for live captioning in Zoom