Veterans Services

Getting Started - Required Forms


Chapter explanations are found on the VA's Official GI Bill® web page or on our WSU Veterans Services Chapters page



Complete an online application at under the Education Benefits section. The following information would be helpful to have before beginning the VA application process.

  • Banking information (account & routing numbers).
  • (veteran only) DD-214 (Member 4 or Service 2 copy). The DD-214 (Member 4 or Service 2 copy) can be obtained from your unit, your AKO-IPERMS account, online, or by calling the National Archives and Records Administration at 1-866-272-6272 (toll free).
  • If applicable, NOBE and/or Kicker Contract.
  • If you are a dependent/spouse, you will need your parent's/spouse's Social Security Number and their date of birth.

You do not need to wait to be admitted to WSU to apply for benefits.

It can take 4-8 weeks for the VA to process your application for GI Bill® benefits.

Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) (Form 22-0557) from the Department of VA by mail. 



  1. Fill out the online application.
  2. Pay a $30 nonrefundable application fee and submit the application.
  3. Submit the following:
    • Official high school transcripts or GED documentation.
    • ACT/SAT scores (These aren’t mandatory. They help determine math and English level placement) If your level cannot be determined, or you have not already taken Math or English at another institution, and you are using GI Bill entitlements, you must take placement tests for both Math and English.
    • Official transcripts from any college or university where you have completed credits.
    • Joint Service Transcripts should be uploaded in the Records office.

Send all documents/materials to:

WSU Admissions Office
3885 West Campus Dr Dept 1137
Ogden, UT 84408-1137


  • You will receive a packet of information in the mail.  What's Next
  • You will receive a Wildcat # (W#) and a temporary password to access your student email account. 
  • Please note that all official WSU communication will be sent to the student email address, so be sure to check it often or forward it to another email address.
  • You will receive a welcome packet through that student email account. The packet will contain a WSU Checklist with additional steps which must be completed in order to register for classes at WSU.

WSU Admissions Website  Military Transfer Students


  1. Meet with your advisor to declare a major and discuss classes to take.
  2. Find required courses for your degree in CatTracks in your eWeber Portal.
  3. Register for classes in your eWeber Portal.
  4. Request Dept of VA Educational Benefits. We will review your schedule to make sure all of your classes fit into your GI Bill requirements.

Find Registration Times & Course Catalog



All students, including returning students, after selecting classes, are required to submit a request for certification well in advance of the beginning of each semester.

Request Benefits Form

This will help to insure monthly stipends are provided in a timely manner. In addition, Depending on your Chapter, VA recipients must verify their enrollments the last day of each month by calling or sending a text to the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Failure to do so may result in withholding stipends.


Request Benefits Form

Have the following info ready:

  • Your COE
  • IF your COE states you are Chapter 35 DEA, we need to know if you are a spouse, or which child you are. AKA first born, second born, etc.
  • Your Sponsor's SSN (IF CH 35 DEA) DD-214 (MEMBER 4 PAGE) (If you are a veteran)
  • Your ID (if you are a dependent)
  • Your SSN
  • Verify your current address
  • Your Phone number
  • Your email
  • Your W# (your student number)


In addition, first-year students are required to meet with a VITAL Peer Mentor Specialist. This may be scheduled virtually in Starfish.

  1. Go to your eWeber Portal.
  2. Log into your school account.
  3. Search for Starfish.
  4. From there, look at My Services and click on Veterans Services.
  5. Once that loads, click on Schedule Appointment and then Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL)
  6. You will then be able to schedule an appointment with our VITAL counselor.


If you are approved for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® or the Vocational Rehabilitation program, you may obtain waivers to prevent courses being dropped or late fees if you submit all the required forms before the tuition deadline before the beginning of each semester.

Other tuition payment options:

  • WSU offers a Tuition Payment Plan to help spread out the cost of attendance. Students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Vocational Rehabilitation benefits do not need to enroll in the payment plan if all the required forms (see Step 6) are submitted before the tuition deadline.
  • The WSU Financial Aid Office provides information on scholarships, grants, short-term loans, etc. to aid in payment.
  • A Federal or State Tuition Assistance program may be available to members of a Reserve or National Guard unit. Contact your unit for more information. The Department of Defense will not authorize Federal Tuition Assistance for classes for which a student is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve program (Chapter 1606). 
  • WSU recognizes recipients of the Purple Heart with a Tuition Waiver option; however, student must still pay fees. The waiver covers up to 18 credits of Utah resident undergraduate tuition per semester, and/or up to $10,000 graduate tuition total (not per semester). Take your Purple Heart recipient paperwork to the Financial Aid or Scholarship office.

Required Forms


*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at