skip to content
  • Calendar
  • Maps

Weber Snow Cooperative Music Licensure Program

This program is designed to add music teaching licensure for students completing the Bachelor of Music in Commercial Music degree at Snow College. The license is issued by the Utah State Office of Education at the recommendation of Weber State University and will qualify you to teach any and all music courses, kindergarten through twelfth grade in the public schools. Those who finish this program will have completed all courses required in a typical music education degree program, but will also have the distinct advantages of additional coursework in music technology, jazz, and popular music, guitar, song-writing, and arranging associated with the Commercial Music degree. Complete the following steps:


Steps To Completing the Program

Step 1: Apply for the program

To be accepted to the program, you should be at least a junior and be able to maintain a 3.0 GPA.

  • Notify the program director by email ( that you would like to apply to the program.
  • Interview with the director of the program (scheduled at the Snow College campus).
  • Complete a background check.
    • Go to 
    • Select Online licensure Renewal. Start a background check, follow the prompts for “initial licensure” and input all required information.
    • Choose Live Scan, pay the fee, and print out an Authorization Form.
    • Take the Authorization Form to a Live Scan site for fingerprinting (additional fee). A time will be set up for you to complete this step at the South Sanpete School District office.
    • When your background check is complete, you will receive a notice from USBE. Go to and register for an account. Go to your personal page and select the CACTUS link (bottom middle). Verify birthdate and SSN. Select “verify me”. Check personal information. Select Application Status. Print a copy of this page with your CACTUS ID on it. Send a copy of the page to

Step 2: Complete pre-requisites

Complete the following 21 credits of music education and related courses at Snow College.

  • HFST 1500 Human Development (2)
  • MUSC 1700 Introduction to Music Education (3)
  • MUSC 1750 & 1760 Woodwind Pedagogy (2)
  • MUSC 1480 & 1490 Brass Pedagogy (2)
  • MUSC 1840 & 1850 String Pedagogy (2)
  • MUSC 1800 Percussion Pedagogy (1)
  • MUSC 2050 Vocal Pedagogy (1)
  • MUSC 3150 Vocal Methods (3) or MUSC 3160 Instrumental Methods (3)
  • MUSC 3170 Elementary Music Methods (3)
  • MUSC 4140 Contemporary Orchestration (2)

Step 3: Apply to Weber State University

Students should apply for admission to Weber State University during Spring semester prior to beginning the program the next Fall. WSU, like Snow College, is an open-enrollment institution. Some of the Weber courses can be taken while completing the Commercial Music degree at Snow, but students should be careful about taking too many credits.

  • Log onto the WSU home page at
  • Click on Admissions in the purple bar on the left side of the page
  • In the drop down menu choose transfer students
  • Follow the directions for admission to WSU; for Planned Course of Study, choose EDUC: Elmtry Applicant - BS. This designation is simply a "place holder" and will be replaced by the teacher education advisement center with the appropriate designation for this program.
  • After you have been accepted, you will be assigned a W number.

Step 4: Apply for financial aid

Apply for financial aid through Weber State University ( during any semester in which you are taking Weber courses. During any semester in which you are NOT taking any WSU courses, you should apply for financial aid through Snow College. If you have not yet completed your bachelor's degree at Snow College and if you are taking courses concurrently at WSU and Snow, complete the Student Consortium Agreement and send it with any questions to Lisa Nuttall ( If you have already completed your bachelor's degree at Snow, complete the Post Baccalaureate/Certificate Contract and send it with any questions to Holly Hastings ( 

Step 5: Register for courses

  • The website to register is Copy and paste into the location bar on your browser.
  • Click on the class you wish to register for. Click "add" for the location and class you wish to attend.
  • If you wish to register for a second class, click on "add more courses." If you do not wish to register for additional classes, click on "complete your registration."
  • Complete the Personal Information section. Fields with a * must be filled in. (Your social security number is used to track your official transcript. Your social security number will not be printed on your receipt. You will be issued a student ID number beginning with the letter W)
  • Complete the Payment Information section, and pay with your credit card. If you choose to pay your fee with a check, please mail it in as soon as possible, along with a printout of the registration page. Your registration will not be processed until your check has been received. If you are applying for financial aid check the GRANT box in the payment area as you check out.
  • Please call WSU Continuing Education Registration at 801-626-6600 if you have questions. Should you have difficulties and do not know who to contact, please contact: Kimberly Love

The sequence of courses is as follows:

Fall Semester (10–12 credits)

  • EDUC 3220 Foundations of Diversity (2) Online
  • EDUC 3265 The Exceptional Student (2) Online
  • EDUC 3900 Preparing, Teaching, and Assessing Instruction (2) Online
  • EDUC 3910 Secondary Education Practicum (2) in local secondary schools
  • EDUC 3935 Reading and Writing across the Seconday Curriculum (2) Online
  • Independent readings in education (2) Online. This course is not required but is available if full-time status through Weber is needed for financial aid. 

Spring Semester (4 credits, no additional courses are allowed during student teaching)

  • EDUC 4930A Clinical Practice in Secondary Education (4) Student teaching (60 days)

Or, if needed for financial aid purposes, you can register for 12 credits as follows:

  • EDUC 4940 Clinical Practice in Secondary Education (8)
  • EDUC 4950 Student Teaching Seminar (4)

Please note: Student teaching can be completed at any accredited school . . . anywhere. Please visit if interested in Worldwide Teaching Internships. Student teaching can also be completed in the Fall or Summer, depending on the availability of an appropriate placement.

Step 6: Pay tuition

Tuition and fees for the Weber State University courses are estimated as follows (these costs may be adjusted relative to current WSU tuition rates) and is due at the time of registration.

Fall (12) credits = $ 3120.00

Spring (4) credits = $1040.00

Total cost of program = $4160.00

Step 7: Complete the Online Student Teaching Application

Please do this during your first semester of enrollment in the program. Go to the Weber State University home page and log in. Search and find the Teacher Education Student Portal. Start a new application. Agree to the ethics standards. Select degree type: Snow Music Licensure. Select K-12 Music. Select the semester when you started the program. If/when you have Praxis scores, go ahead and upload them as well. Then submit the application.

Step 8: Complete the Pedagogical Performance Assessment (PPAT).

The state of Utah also requires that you pass a Pedagogical Performance Assessment during your student teaching semester. More information about this assessment, including deadlines and registration, can be accessed directly on the ETS website:

Step 9: Complete licensure paperwork

Complete the following steps during your final semester to obtain your teaching license:

  • Request a copy of the current Licensure Checklist by emailing Denise Wright ( Complete and return the form. Under question 1, write "Snow Music Licensure" for the type of degree, leave 2B blank, and remember to include copies of your PPAT scores. 
  • Send OFFICIAL transcripts from Snow to USBE:

University Recommendations
Utah State Office of Education
Educator Licensing
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200

  • Make sure your background check is passed and up to date.

Once Denise has everything from you, she will fill out and sign the requisite paperwork and forward it to USBE. They process the recommendation manually, after which they will contact you and let your know how to get a copy of your license.