skip to content
  • Calendar
  • Maps

Social Work Careers

Your Weber State social work degree prepares you for wide range of exciting careers and to earn your Master of Social Work degree.


What Can I Do with My Social Work Degree?

Weber State’s social work graduates go on to careers in:

  • Social services
  • Care management
  • Clinical social work
  • Behavioral therapy
  • Mental health therapy
  • Child welfare and adoption services
  • Juvenile justice counseling
  • Hospital social work
  • Institutional care
  • Advocacy programs
  • Domestic violence programs
  • Addiction prevention/treatment
  • School programs
  • Parent education
  • Social welfare in public and private agencies

Note: Many employers require you to hold a Social Service Worker (SSW) license.

How Do I Earn a Social Service Worker License?

You must have your bachelor’s degree to earn your Social Service Worker license.

While your degree doesn't have to be in social work, it is recommended to earn your degree in the field from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

Follow the National Association of Social Worker’s SSW Step by Step guide to apply.

If you have a degree in another field, you must meet the minimum coursework requirements and practice requirements. The DOPL website provides a list of qualifying Utah courses. The experience requirement is 2,000 hours. Supervision must be provided by a mental health professional.

Contact Department Chair Mark Bigler at 801-626-6156 or for questions regarding licensing.

Additional Licensing Resources


Where Can I Earn My Master’s Degree in Social Work?

With your master’s degree in social work, you’ll become more marketable for careers such as medical social worker, substance abuse counselor and child welfare case worker. Weber State graduates can transition to graduate studies at institutions such as:

After earning your master’s degree, you can go on to become a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).