Begin your journey by attending the mandatory and informative
Pre-Medical Professions Information Session.
Why choose Pre-Dentistry at WSU?
- You will be adequately prepared for post-graduate studies in a pre-medical professional field.
- You will have resources such as faculty, staff and advisors who have years of experience in the medical field and can offer expert advice and insight.
- You will be getting involved in a field that is exciting and can make a difference in the lives of many individuals.
What do dentists do?
Dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries and malformations of teeth, gums, and related oral structures; examine patients to determine the nature of conditions utilizing x-rays, dental instruments and other diagnostic procedures; clean, fill, extract and replace teeth using rotary and hand instruments, dental appliances, medications and surgical implements; and provide preventive dental services to patients such as applications of fluoride and sealants to teeth, and education in oral and dental hygiene.
Are there extracurricular programs available for Pre-Dental students?
The Weber State University Pre-Dental Club is a student-run organization where students that are interested in the dental profession can come together to plan and participate in events that will prepare them for the dental school application process, as well as the dental profession.
The Pre-Professional Mentoring Program is for students preparing for a career in medicine, dentistry, physician's assistant (PA), chiropractic medicine, or podiatry. The purpose of the mentoring program is to pair up newer students with more experienced students to answer their questions and help
them navigate the difficult and often competitive application process.
Is there an application process for the Pre-Dental Program at WSU?
There is no application deadline, but we encourage you to meet early and often with an advisor from the pre-medical professional programs. Contact the program office for specific information or to schedule an appointment.
How & when do I apply to dental school?
American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
ADEA Guide to Preparing for Dental School
American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS)
Dental Admission Test (DAT)
Take the DAT
WSU's guidelines to increase your chances for acceptance to a dental school:
- Have a strong science and overall GPA (3.6 or better).
- Study hard and do well on the Dental Admissions Test (18 or better).
- Get EXCELLENT letters of recommendation.
- Have dental experience (volunteer work).
- Improve your manual dexterity (learn to knit, fix small appliances, play piano, etc.).
- Get involved in extracurricular groups such as the Pre-Dental Society and/or department clubs.
- Meet with advisors regularly.
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weber State University
College of Science
1415 Edvalson St., Dept. 2501
Ogden, UT 84408-2505
Tracy Hall Science Center (TY)
Click for campus map