Bloomington Canyon Yurt
Reserve Yurt: Winter 2021-22
- See Available Dates
- Call the Outdoor Program to reserve an open date starting Nov. 1, 2021: 801-626-6373
Current Weather Conditions
|Air Temperature||Dew Point||Snow Depth||Wind Direction||Wind Speed||Relative Humidity|
The WSU Outdoor Program is proud to offer the Bloomington Canyon Yurt in beautiful Bear Lake Idaho. The yurt rental program is available to WSU students and the general public.
Renting the yurt requires route finding, experience in backcountry travel, and the ability to read a map and or GPS. The Bloomington Canyon Yurt opens up some of the best ski and snowmobile terrains Idaho has to offer.
The Mongolian-style Yurt is outfitted with:
- Wooden floor
- Wood burning stove (Do not cook on top of the woodstove! This top is for melting snow for water only. A propane stove is provided for cooking food.)
- Kitchen (assortment of pots, pans) (Due to COVID-19 no plates, bowls, cups, or utensils will be available. Please bring your own.)
- Bunks for up to 12 (The Yurt is being loved to death, group size has been limited to 10 people)
- See all amenities below
The Yurt is located in Bloomington Canyon. The trailhead is approximately 108 miles from the Weber State University Campus.
* Yurt Critical Updates *
- Operating procedures have changed. Group max size has been limited to 10. Plates, bowls, cups, and utensils will no longer be available, and additional cleaning protocols will be strictly enforced. Please review the standard operating procedures.
- Slow down on the wood-burning. The yurt is intended to be heated to around 65 degrees, not 90. The yurt is not a sauna!
- A new Fisher wood-burning stove has been installed a the yurt. This stove burns hotter and more efficiently. Do not overfill or overheat the stove. Glowing red is bad. Do not cook on top of the woodstove! This top is for melting snow for water only. A propane stove is provided for cooking.
- You may have noticed the nightly rental rate for the yurt has gone up, this rate will continue to raise as renters fail to follow the standard operating procedures and create more work.
- Yurt checkout time is 10:00 a.m. Please have your group cleaned up and exiting by 10:00 a.m.
- Please report broken or damaged yurt items to 801-626-7904, as these damages compromise other renter's experiences.
- Please do not rent the yurt if you do not have significant winter backcountry travel experience. (Join us on one of our program trips)
- Please avoid chasing deer, elk, and moose on the trail, follow at a safe distance until it appears safe to pass.
- It is advised to always have a pair of skis or snowshoes on your snowmobile at all times. This will facilitate an easier exit in the event that your sled fails.
- Renters please split your own firewood, and leave enough for the next group to get started. Please be sparing on the wood, and do not overfill the yurt wood box, it only makes for good mice homes.
- Do not leave leftover food in the yurt. Only the mice eat it, and it's disgusting.
- Woodstove ash is not to be scattered in the forest! Please put cold ash in the metal trash can in the woodshed.
How to use the Bloomington Canyon Yurt
About the Yurt
- Location: Bloomington Canyon, Idaho
- Altitude: 7619
- Distance To Yurt From Trail Head: 7 miles
- Elevation Change: 1600
- Occupancy Max: 10 (Due to COVID-19 yurt group sizes have been limited to a max capacity of 10 for the 2022/2023 season)
- Cost per night: $300 + tax (30% discount with Active Wildcard and W#. WSU Affiliate must be present on the trip.)
- The Yurt floor has a new coat of polyurethane on the floor. The floor is very slippery in wet boots. Please use caution!
- Bloomington Canyon is a multi-use recreation destination. Bloomington Canyon can see heavy snowmobile traffic during the winter months, please travel to the side of the groomed trail and be cautious. Skiers may be able to hear the snowmobiles long before the snowmobiles will be able to see skiers. Skiers, please take precautions.
- Snowmobilers, Idaho requires all snowmobiles to have an Idaho registration sticker, available at select UT retailers. Please designate Bear Lake County (Option 4) for your support fees. Idaho Registration stickers are also available at the Sinclair Station in Paris Idaho, 209 S. Main St. Paris, ID 83261. (208) 945-2292 (Station is located one mile past Bloomington Canyon Rd heading north).
- The trail can be difficult to find during the winter months. Your group must be able to read a map and or use a GPS. Please download the Yurt Map, and familiarize yourself with reading a topo map.
- Groups must be sufficiently prepared to stay out in the elements for a minimum of one night in a worst-case scenario, do not underestimate the 7.3 miles, 1600ft vertical skin to the yurt. Plan ahead and be prepared.
- Groups should plan to depart from the trailhead no later than 9 a.m. in order to arrive safely at the yurt before dark.
- Yurt checkout time is 10 a.m. Please be sure your group is cleaned up and exiting the yurt by 10 a.m.
- Groups should be knowledgeable and experienced winter backcountry travelers.
There is no avalanche terrain on approach or threatening the yurt. However, the terrain surrounding the yurt can produce avalanches. Take an avalanche course from the WSU Outdoor Program.
- 2 bunks with 3" pads (each bunk-bed sleeps 4)
- 2 fold-out beds with 3" pads (each fold-out sleeps 2)
- 1 Cot
- Woodburning stove
- 10 Buckets, Food Storage/ Chairs
- LP gas cook stove
- Complement pots pans and dishes for cooking, (Plates, bowls, cups, utensils will not be provided due to COVID-19. Renters must bring their own)
- Coffee pour-over cone - takes size 6 filters
- Solar Powered lights
- Shallow Pit Toilet
- Wood, woodshed is full (split what you burn)
- Elevation: 7600'
- DO NOT enter the snow study site
- Delicate snow data is being collected that help in Avalanche Forecasting
Bloomington Yurt Conditions
- 0 deg. sleeping bag
- Headlamp and additional lantern (Solar lights are not always reliable, they depend on the sun!)
- Extra clothes
- Avalanche beacon
- Extra Batteries
- Skis/ Snowboard