Resources for Renters During the

COVID-19 Pandemic

The information below can help renters understand their rights and options during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Para Español.

1.Talking With Your Landlord


If you can't pay your full rent by the due date, talk to your landlord as soon as possible and try to work something out. It is important to get any agreement in writing. Read the document linked that explains how to talk with your landlord about setting up a repayment plan by clicking here. 


2. Eviction Moratoriums

An eviction moratorium temporarily stops certain types of evictions. On Sept. 4, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) issued a new eviction moratorium for most cases of non-payment of rent through December 31, 2020. Protection under this moratorium is much broader than under the CARES Act. For more information on who is eligible for protection under this moratorium, see the Utah Legal Services website. 


Before the CDC moratorium, there were actually two other separate eviction moratoriums in Utah; a statewide one and a nationwide one.The statewide one ended on May 15 and the nationwide one, which was part of the CARES Act, ended on July 25. However, even after July 25, the CARES Act moratorium still provides some minor protections for renters in cases of nonpayment. If you would like more information about these moratoriums, learn more from the Utah Legal Services webpage.  


"The federal moratorium prohibits a landlord from giving the first eviction notice for nonpayment until after July 25. The landlord cannot file an eviction action in court until after giving nonpayment notice. The nonpayment notice must give the tenant at least 30 days to vacate (no sooner than August 24.)"


Utah Legal Services provides additional details on the nationwide moratorium and which tenants are covered. For questions click here.


Please note, even if you did qualify for protection under the state or nationwide moratorium during the months when they were effective, you are still required to pay rent for those months.  The moratoriums simply allow you to delay payment until a later date. This is why it is important to talk with your landlord and set up a repayment plan.


For the nationwide moratorium: Tenants living in properties that receive any type of support from the federal government are covered by the 30-day eviction notice requiremtns under the nation-wide moratorium (see Utah Legal Services website above for details.) Although there is no complete list of covered properties, the best list available can be accessed on the National Low Income Housing Coalition website here:  NOTE: you may still qualify for protection under the nationwide moratorium even if you do NOT live in one of these properties. Specifically this list does NOT include covered properties with 4 units or less. Ask your landlord if your residence is covered under the CARES Act.


3. What to do if you receive an eviction notice.


Utah Legal Services and the Utah Court Self-Help Center (contact information below) partnered to make two videos to help renters understand what to do if they receive an eviction notice after the statewide eviction moratorium expired on May 15. Click on the links below to watch these videos:

Here are some key take-aways from the videos: If you receive an eviction notice, read it carefully. If it is a notice to pay or vacate, you might be covered by the 30-day eviction notice requirement under the CARES Act (see Eviciton Moratoriums above). Talk with your landlord as soon as you receive the notice. If you make an agreement with your landlord, get it in writing.

If you talk with your landlord, and your landlord still wants to evict you for non-payment of rent, contact the agencies below for more information on your rights and options. 

Utah Legal Services


Phone: 801-328-8891

Utah Courts Self-Help Center


Phone: 888-683-0009

Text: 801-742-1898 


If you have trouble reaching Utah Legal Services or the Utah Court Self Help Center, call Weber Housing Authority at 801-399-8691 or OgdenCAN at 801-781-5854.  These organizations will either provide direct assistance or point you to appropriate resources.

         If, after receiving an eviction notice, you receive a Summons and Complaint from the court, it is very important that you respond by the deadline and communicate with the  court. Also, call one of the organizations listed above.


4. Where to get help paying rent

There are several emergency rent assistance programs available in Weber County, some of which are a direct response to the COVID-19 crisis. Because funding for rent assistance is limited, it is also important to think about other options such as using federal stimulus money to pay rent and freeing up existing money for rent by applying for other assistance programs such as unemployment insurance and SNAP (Food Stamps.)


COVID Emergency Rent Assistance Programs

This list will be updated as new programs become available. Click on these resources for more information.


a. Ogden Weber Community Action Partnership's (OWCAP) emergency rent assistance program.

Ogden Weber Community Action Parternsip (OWCAP) is administering the Pandemic Rental Assistance Program for all residents in Weber County. They have four different rent assistance programs, including one that does NOT require an unemployment insurance denial letter. The best way to obtain information about their programs is to call OWCAP at 801-399-9281, ext. 998. Additonal information can be found here


Other Rent Assistance Programs (note funding for these programs is more limited)

a. TANF Family Housing Program


b. DWS Homeless Prevention Program 

To apply call DWS at 801-526-0950, follow the prompts for Eligibility, and ask to apply for the Homeless Prevention Program.


c. SSVF Rapid Rehousing (veteran families only)


Additional Resources

a. Most people will receive a stimulus payment from the federal government. Use this calculator to see how much money you will get. Note, in order to receive a stimulus payment you must be a US citizen or resident alien with a valid social security number.


bIn most cases, the government will use your federal tax return from 2019 or 2018 to determine where and how to send your stimulus payment. If you filed a tax return in 2019 or 2019 you can use this website  to check that the government has the correct information. You can also correct or add direct deposit or address information. 


c. If you did not file a 2019 tax return because you were not required to file, see here  for information on how to receive your payment


d. Apply for a variety of government benefits here,  through the Department of Workforce Services including SNAP (Food Stamps) financial, medical and child care assistance.


e. If you were working and suffered wage cuts or job loss, you can apply for unemployment insurance, link to jobs. utahEligibility for unemployment insurance has expanded due to COVID-19 (see jobs.utah/covid19) These videos walk through the steps of applying for unemployment insurance, including expanded COVID-19 eligibility.

  • How to apply for unemployment insurance here

  • Learn what to do after you file for unemployment insurance here

f. The HEAT Program provides assistance for paying home energy costs (gas and electric).


g. Additionally, both Dominion Energy (gas) and Ogden City Water have agreed not to shut off service during the pandemic for any customers who set up and stick to a repayment plan. If you’re tight on rent money, call these companies and ask to set up a payment plan.

Dominion Energy: 800-323-5517

Ogden City Water: 801-629-8321

h. Additionally, friends, extended family, and churches and other communities of faith may be good resources for help paying rent and/or other bills