Frequently Asked Questions
About the NSLS
The NSLS is the largest accredited leadership honor society in the nation. Membership selection is based on either academic standing or leadership potential.
The NSLS provides a step-by-step program for members to build leadership skills through participation in campus events. Upon completion of the program, members receive their leadership certificate. Members are able to list their affiliation on all statements of personal accomplishment, including their resume.
Membership provides access to benefits including scholarships and awards, exclusive on-campus events, employer recruitment through an online job bank, and discounts on computers, textbooks, grad school prep courses, insurance, and much more.
The purpose of the National Society of Leadership and Success is to help you discover and achieve goals that will ensure you have the best opportunity to achieve success.
You were chosen to join the NSLS because one or more of your professors recognized your academic excellence, or leadership potential and nominated you for membership.
You can apply for membership by completing our nomination process. The nomination process requires the recommendation of at least one faculty member and can be completed entirely online. If approved, you will receive a nomination code to join.
There are many benefits to joining the NSLS. Some of these include:
• Exclusive scholarships and awards
• Customized letters of recommendation
• An online job bank
• Social events
• Education from top global leaders
• Partner benefits and discounts
In addition, the NSLS is the only honor society to offer accredited leadership training and certification, with courses reviewed and recommended for credit reciprocity by ACE and NCCRS.
By accepting your nomination, you will be well positioned to maximize your leadership potential and distinguish yourself in the eyes of future employers. The experience you gain from membership will drive your future and establish you as a leader among your peers.As you go through the leadership programs, you’ll work with other members to recognize and achieve goals, while learning critical communication skills that can be applied in all aspects of your life.
To learn more, explore all of the benefits of the NSLS.
Accreditation is a fundamental component that helps to determine whether or not an organization meets the minimum standards of quality. These standards are set by a governing body that reviews all organizations that seek accreditation.
Transparency in criteria for selection and accountability in impact to purpose. The NSLS meets the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to purpose through its certification as a For Benefit Organization.
Legitimate honor societies all require a one-time fee in order to join and gain access to the benefits offered. Upon joining the NSLS, you’ll have access for life.
Better Business Bureau
Legitimate honor societies will be registered with the Better Business Bureau and will maintain the highest rating possible at A+.
Work with Thought Leaders
Legitimate honor societies will have strong ties and relationships with highly successful individuals and thought leaders across industries. They’ll be able to use these relationships to provide value to their members.
The Induction Process
Once you have paid the one-time $95 membership fee, you are considered a pre-inducted member with access to certain benefits. In order to become a fully inducted member, you must complete the following steps:
1. Orientation: The first meeting that occurs each semester, this serves as an introduction to the NSLS and will provide the information you need about the program in order to successfully complete the Steps to Induction.
2. Leadership Training Day: An interactive video training session with a workbook designed to help you identify and overcome any obstacles that may interfere with obtaining your goals. This event will help you recognize your strengths and weaknesses as you develop SMART goals.
3. Three speaker broadcast events: You will watch some of the world's most successful motivational speakers discussing topics related to leadership, identifying goals, facing challenges, personal growth, and successfully transitioning from college to career.
4. Three Success Networking Team meetings: Groups of members will be formed to meet together under the direction of a facilitator. These groups will focus on assisting each other in developing action steps to accomplish your SMART goal over the course of a few weeks.
5. Three service hours: Perform three hours of public service in NSLS service projects or through another source approved by the community service chair.
Once you accept your nomination to the NSLS, you are considered a pre-inducted member with limited access to member benefits. When you complete all of your induction steps, you are considered a fully inducted member of the NSLS with access to all benefits.
Most members complete their steps to induction in the semester that they join. However if you need longer, you will have until you graduate to be inducted.
The average amount of time it takes to complete the steps to induction is approximately 8-12 hours spread out over the course of a semester.
Joining the NSLS costs a one-time fee of $95. This fee includes all membership benefits and partner discounts. Membership does not expire or need renewal.
The one-time membership fee is a requirement that we are unable to waive. If you need more time to sign up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission to sign up after the deadline.
The NSLS distributes over $400,000 in scholarships and awards exclusively to NSLS members. The NSLS Scholarship and Awards program supports members for their dynamic leadership, service, chapter/member excellence, and financial need.
For more information check out current Scholarships and Awards
Scholarship applications are open twice during the year during the Spring and Fall Semesters
Spring Semester: January 31 - March 25
Fall Semester: September 7 - October 29
Facebook: Weber NSLS
LinkedIn: The National Society of Leadership
and Success at Weber State University
Discord: Weber NSLS