money management

Free FAFSA Help

Students are still able to file a 2021-22 FAFSA. Starting Oct. 1, 2021, the 2022-23 FAFSA will be available.

Make an appointment to get one-on-one help on how to complete your FAFSA. Parents are welcome to join you.

Make an Appointment  FAFSA Facts

 What to Bring to Your Appointment

Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID

  • The FSA ID is the username and password you use on federal student aid websites such as,, and on the myStudentAid mobile app.
  • If you are a dependent student: You will need at least one of your parents. Being over the age of 18 does not make you an independent student when it comes to FAFSA so be prepared with your parent’s tax information even if you are over 18 and live on your own.

Documents Needed to Apply for FAFSA

The FAFSA asks for information about you (your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and about your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following information or documents as you fill out the application:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your driver’s license number if you have one
  • Your parents’ information if you are a dependent student
    • Parent(s) Social Security Numbers
    • Parent(s) date of birth
    • Parent(s) Date of marriage/separation/divorce/ widowed, etc.
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents, if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS 1040
    • Foreign tax return, IRS 1040NR, or IRS 1040NR-EZ
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
    • You will need 2018 tax records for the 2020-2021 school year, and for 2021-22 you will need your 2019 tax records.
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents, if you are a dependent student
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.

Dependent Students

You are a dependent student if you are 24 or younger and you will need your parent(s) tax information.

There are ways you can be considered independent if you are under 25:

  • If you are married
    • Please bring your spouses tax info
  • Special circumstances (if you have questions please call)
    • Have legal dependents
    • Ward of the court/Foster care
    • Armed Forces
    • Emancipated minor
    • Homeless or at risk of being homeless

If you are a dependent student your parent(s) will need to have and Federal Student Aid (FSA) account as well. You will need this information to sign, submit, and retrieve tax information from the IRS website.

Printable Version of What to Bring (PDF)

Money Management Center: 801-626-6135 |