Getting Started - Required Forms


Chapter explanations are found on the VA's Official GI Bill® web page or on our WSU Military-Affiliated Student Center Chapters page



Complete an online application at under the Education Benefits section. The following information would be helpful to have before beginning the VA application process.

  • Banking information (account & routing numbers).
  • (veteran only) DD-214 (Member 4 or Service 2 copy). The DD-214 (Member 4 or Service 2 copy) can be obtained from your unit, your AKO-IPERMS account, online, or by calling the National Archives and Records Administration at 1-866-272-6272 (toll free).
  • If applicable, NOBE and/or Kicker Contract.
  • If you are a dependent/spouse, you will need your parent's/spouse's Social Security Number and their date of birth.

You do not need to wait to be admitted to WSU to apply for benefits.

It can take 4-8 weeks for the VA to process your application for GI Bill® benefits and send your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or (Form 22-0557) by mail.



  1. Fill out the online application.
  2. Pay a $30 nonrefundable application fee and submit the application.
  3. Submit the following:
    • Official high school transcripts or GED documentation.
    • ACT/SAT scores (These aren’t mandatory. They help determine math and English level placement) If your level cannot be determined, or you have not already taken Math or English at another institution, and you are using GI Bill entitlements, you must take placement tests for both Math and English.
    • Official transcripts from any college or university where you have completed credits.
    • Joint Service Transcripts should be uploaded in the Records office.

Send all documents/materials to:

WSU Admissions Office
3885 West Campus Dr Dept 1137
Ogden, UT 84408-1137


  • You will receive a packet of information in the mail.  What's Next
  • You will receive a Wildcat # (W#) and a temporary password to access your student email account. 
  • Please note that all official WSU communication will be sent to the student email address, so be sure to check it often or forward it to another email address.
  • You will receive a welcome packet through that student email account. The packet will contain a WSU Checklist with additional steps which must be completed in order to register for classes at WSU.

WSU Admissions Website  Military Transfer Students


  1. Meet with your advisor to declare a major and discuss classes to take.
  2. Find required courses for your degree in CatTracks in your eWeber Portal.
  3. Register for classes in your eWeber Portal.

Find Registration Times & Course Catalog



After registering for classes, all students are required to submit a request for certification of their Dept of VA benefits.  Please submit your request at least 30 days before classes start to give us and the Department of Veteran Affairs time to process your request.  This will help to insure monthly stipends are provided in a timely manner. In addition, Chapters 1606 and 30 must verify their enrollments through the WAVE program.  Chapter 33 must verify their enrollments the last day of each month by calling or sending a text to the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Failure to do so may result in withholding stipends.

Please have the following info ready:

  • Verify your current address
  • Your Birthdate
  • Your Phone number
  • Your WSU email
  • Your W# (your student number)

We only need the following items with your initial request.

  • Your COE (IF you are Chapter 35 DEA,  please write the Sponsor's SSN on the bottom of the COE.)  
  • Your Driver's Liscence or State ID (if you are a dependent) or DD-214 (MEMBER 4 PAGE) (If you are a veteran)

Dept of VA Benefits Request Form


After registering for classes, please complete the Federal/State or MYCAA form below as soon as possible for WSU to better track your request, upload Federal, State, or MYCAA forms safely instead of using emailing, and for WSU to complete your request in a timely manner.

Federal or State TA or MYCAA Benefits Request Form


In addition, first-year and transfer students are highly encouraged to meet with a Peer Mentor Specialist. Please send an email to to set-up an appointment.


All students must make tuition payment arrangements by the Friday before each semester starts.  To prevent any late or collection fees, please submit all the required forms 30 days before the class begins.  For GI Bill Chapters 1606, 30, and 35, the VA will not pay for your tuition, but they send you, the student, a monthly payment for you to pay for your tuition.  For Chapters 33 and 31, the VA pays your tuition directly to the school.  This is why you must notify our office of any classes you add or drop to your schedule to prevent a debt to the university.     

Other tuition payment options:

  • WSU offers a Tuition Payment Plan to help spread out the cost of attendance. Students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill® Chapter 33 or Vocational Readiness and Education (Chapter 31) benefits do not need to enroll in the payment plan if all the required forms (see Step 5) are submitted by the Friday prior to the semester.  All other chapters will need to set up a payment plan.
  • The WSU Financial Aid Office provides information on scholarships, grants, short-term loans, etc. to aid in payment.
  • A Federal or State Tuition Assistance program may be available to members of a Reserve or National Guard unit. Contact your unit for more information. The Department of Defense will not authorize Federal Tuition Assistance for classes for which a student is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve program (Chapter 1606). 
  • WSU recognizes recipients of the Purple Heart with a Tuition Waiver option; however, student must still pay fees. The waiver covers up to 18 credits of Utah resident undergraduate tuition per semester, and/or up to $10,000 graduate tuition total (not per semester). Take your Purple Heart recipient paperwork to the Financial Aid or Scholarship office.

Required Forms


*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at