CYBER SECURITY Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security focuses on the fundamentals of cyber security, security policies, penetration testing, enterprise IT management, and networking. Courses in this program emphasize how to improve information security within organizations. This program allows students to quickly increase their technical capabilities in the cyber security field with hands-on applied projects, expert instruction, and advanced training environments.
A QUICK LOOK:
TIME COMMITMENT: 3 hours in class/week + 2 to 4 hours applied project work/week
COURSE DURATION: Courses are taught in 8 week blocks
TIME TO COMPLETION: Complete in as few as 2 semesters or take up to 7 years
METHOD OF DELIVERY: Hybrid - some face-to-face, some virtual - see schedule below
TYPICAL CLASS SIZE: Fewer than 15 students
# REQUIRED COURSES: 5 courses (15 credit hours -9 required, 6 elective)
CYBER SECURITY CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS
We understand that working professionals looking to advance their careers, learn new skills or change industries require not just flexibility in a program, but exceptional, engaging, relevant material.
- WHO CAN APPLY? The certificate can be completed as a part of the WSU MBA Program in the Goddard School of Business and Economics or as a stand-alone certificate.
- NOTE: This certificate is designed for those who may or may not have technical backgrounds or experience with cyber security.
- DELIVERY: The courses will be conducted in eight week blocks. Select courses will be available face-to-face, others will be virtual.
- PREREQUISITES: Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or be in the final stage of completing the undergraduate degree. Prerequisite classes may apply for select courses. See course description below. Basic computer competency is required.
- GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Students must complete all program courses with a grade of “C” or higher. In addition, the overall program GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- CREDIT HOURS: 15 total credit hours including 9 required hours and 6 elective hours. The following is a list of available courses:
- MBA 6310 | IT in the Enterprise (3 cr)
- MBA 6630 | Networking and Information Systems (3 cr)
- MBA 6640 | Cyber Security (3 cr)
- MBA 6650 | Penetration Testing (3 cr)
ADD ONE (1) OF THE FOLLOWING ELECTIVES
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This certificate looks at management issues and practical implications related to securing information systems. More specifically, it focuses on the threat environment, security policy and planning, cryptography, secure networks, penetration testing, application security, data protection, and networking. You will receive several industry certificates including: Security+, CEH, AWS, and Network+.
- Understand the current cyber threat environment.
- Make intelligent and accurate decisions about cyber security, vulnerabilities, and related legal issues.
- Understand key concepts, jargon, and acronyms used in the cyber security field.
- Develop cyber security defensive skills using modern cyber tools and methodologies.
- Gain cyber security skills and knowledge sufficient to pass industry certifications.
- Know how to protect information systems, networks, and data.
- Know how to effectively respond to a data breach, system intrusion, or insider threat.
- Gain an understanding of current federal and state computer crime laws.
STATE OF THE INDUSTRY
- Cyber security will be one of the fastest-growing professions in the United States over the next 10 years, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Given the exponentially increasing demand for expertise in cyber security, managers working in all fields can benefit from this certificate.
OUR MBA GRADUATES ARE WORKING FOR THESE COMPANIES (AND MORE)
Our strong alumni network provides networking, socializing, and career opportunities like these...