Our office regularly employs media relations and student writer interns to help promote Weber State as well as individual colleges. Paid internships through our office are a great way for you to develop your professional skills right here on campus. Student writers may work in the Department of Marketing & Communications or one of WSU’s academic colleges.
We're looking for student interns with demonstrated skills in the following areas:
- Social media
- Web content creation
- Video production
- Event planning
Internships vary depending on the needs of the office or college you work with, but duties may include:
- Writing and researching press releases
- Writing, editing and proofreading newsletter articles or general assignments
- Writing or editing for the web using a content management system
- Supporting the university’s social media efforts and promoting college events
- Working in conjunction with colleges and departments to improve public image
- Photographing or video recording campus activities
- Performing other office or event duties as assigned
We are seeking self-starting students who:
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- Embrace feedback and direction
- Pay attention to detail
- Possess good work habits (dependable, on time)
- Represent the university and office in a professional manner
Schedule and Compensation
Most interns are expected to work 15-20 hours a week. We offer flexible hours that work around your course schedule and a competitive hourly rate.
These opportunities may fulfill internship requirements in your major, subject to approval by your academic internship coordinator.
Preference will be given to juniors and seniors majoring in communication, English, technical writing, professional sales or marketing, and students who need internship credit to graduate.
Send the following to Jaime Winston at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter
- Three writing samples demonstrating your media writing abilities (Candidates interested in video editing opportunities should include examples of links to finished video segments.)
In your email, please indicate which internship you are interested in and if you plan to receive academic credit.