Scholarship Eligibility and Application
- Students must be enrolled at WSU, with a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester while recieving scholarship.
- GPA -- students must have at least a 2.0 GPA to apply for the scholarship, students with higher GPA's will receive a higher consideration by the selection committee.
- Cash award: Up to full tuition (in state) and fees. Award may be applied to tuition, fees, books, or other educational expenses, to be disbursed per semester, based on eligibility, tuition rates and available endowment funds. At the discretion of the scholarship selection committee, in addition, partial scholarships may be awarded depending on funds available in the endowment and applicant pool.
- Previous applicants and recipients may reapply in subsequent years.
- Complete the WSU Scholarship Application. This form is available at the WSU Student Portal (Finaid and Scholarship Application).
- Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year are requested. Write and submit an essay.
- Must be typed, double-spaced and between 500-750 words.
- Essay will address the student’s need, academic performance, current and future goals, and involvement with and/or service to the LGBTQ... community.
- Submit essays to Jayson Stokes, Committee Chair. Email
The Hall-Weckel LGBT Advocate Scholarship is administered by a selection committee consisting of Weber State University faculty, staff, students, and community members. The chair of the committee will ensure that all applicants are eligible to recieve the scholarship. The committee will review applicants' essays and determine finalists to be interviewed by the committee.
Administration of the Scholarship:
- The number and amount of awards will be determined annually based on available funds but shall be no greater than an amount equal to full-time in-state tuition and fees. The scholarship(s) awarded from the fund may be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, educational supplies, housing or other expenses as determined by the selection committee. If scholarship award amounts, when combined with other sources of scholarships and financial aid, exceed tuition and fees, the student may receive a cash disbursement for the remainder of the award. At the discretion of the scholarship selection committee partial scholarships may be awarded depending on funds available in the endowment and the applicant pool.
- Term limit: This is a one year scholarship; however, reapplication is allowed.
- GPA: Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and must maintain a 2.0 GPA through the award period. Students with higher GPA's will receive higher consideration by the selection committee.
- Meetings with Committee: Scholarship recipients may be asked to meet once a year with the Committee in an effort to share observations, experiences, and collective concerns.
- Agreement Letter: Students are expected to agree to eligibility requirements.
- Ineligibility: In the event a student becomes ineligible they will return any stipend they have received.
For more information or assistance with questions or comments, please contact:
Jayson Stokes, M.Ed. MPC
LGBT Resource Center
Weber State University
Donations to the Hall-Weckel LGBT Advocate Scholarship
can be made through the
Weber State University Development Office