Current International Student Scholarship
Scholarship applications are accepted during the spring semester, and scholarships are awarded for the academic year starting the following fall semester. Scholarship awards may cover tuition, fees and other educational expenses. The scholarship supports an international student for one academic year and encourages him/her to be engaged with the ISSC.
Scholarship Eligibility & Application
- Must be a current F-1 undergraduate international student in good status.
- Student must be enrolled at WSU, with a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- Student must have a minimum WSU GPA of 3.0
- Recipients must have completed at least one semester at WSU with a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Preference will be given to students who volunteer or are otherwise involved with the ISSC
- Complete the WSU Scholarship Application, which is available at the WSU Student Portal (Finaid and Scholarship Application).
- Email a personal statement to Mary Machira, Committee Chair, by September 1, 2019 (subsequent personal statements will be due by May 1)
- Must be typed, double-spaced and between 500-750 words
- A personal statement should address the student’s need, academic performance, current, and future goals, and involvement with the International Student and Scholar Center
- Email a letter of reference to Mary Machira, by September 1, 2019 (subsequent letters of reference will be due by May 1)
The International Student Scholarship is administered by a selection committee consisting of Weber State University staff/ faculty members. The chair of the committee will ensure that all applicants are eligible to receive the scholarship. The committee will review applicants' essays and determine finalists to be interviewed by the committee.
Administration of the Scholarship:
- The number and amount of awards will be determined annually, based on available funds. The awarded amount is paid out in equally divided payments applied for the following Fall and Spring semesters (i.e. a $1,000 awarded scholarship results in $500 being paid out for Fall and $500 for Spring)
- The scholarship(s) awarded may be used to pay for tuition, fees, or other educational expenses, as determined by the selection committee. If scholarship award amounts, when combined with any other sources of scholarships and financial aid, exceed tuition and fees, the student may receive a cash disbursement for the remainder of the award
- Term limit: This is a one-year scholarship; however, reapplication is possible
- GPA: Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and maintain a 3.0 GPA through the award period. Students with higher GPA's will receive higher consideration by the selection committee
- Agreement Letter: Students are expected to agree to eligibility requirements
- Ineligibility: In the event a student becomes ineligible they will return any stipend they have received
For more information or questions, please contact: Mary Machira | firstname.lastname@example.org