Participate in various opportunities across the United States, in Washington D.C., and abroad through various programs including the United States Foreign Service, foreign embassies, and more.
National Internships Opportunities
- Handshake- Local, national, and international internships and jobs.
- Red Cross Internships- Paid and unpaid internships for a standard 10-week period across the United States. Various positions in nonprofit work.
- National Council for US-Arab Relations- A summer internship in Washington D.C. to work in Arab relations. Interns receive a stipend.
- American Foreign Service Association Internships- seasonal internships in Washington D.C. to attend events, conduct research, etc. Interns receive a stipend.
- Virtual Student Foreign Service- work about 10 hours/week online for an academic year. Apply at https://www.usajobs.gov/.
- TLG/HECFAA Internships- Summer, paid internships directed at minority college students. Apply at https://www.usajobs.gov/.
- The Aspen Institute- Seasonal, paid internships to conduct research on education and policy studies. Includes Washington D.C, New York, and Aspen, Colorado.
- Center for International Policy- Seasonal, paid internships in Washington, D.C. to conduct research on foreign policy.
- List of State Department Fellowships and Internships.
Washington, DC Unpaid Internships
- The White House Internship: A Public Service Leadership Program- Fall, spring, or summer with duties such as “conducting research, managing incoming inquiries,... writing memos, and staffing events.”
- Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training Internship- In Arlington, Virginia during the summer and academic year. Listen to oral histories and conduct interviews.
- DACOR Bacon House Foundation- a full-time internship to help plan and staff events. Email email@example.com with resume attached.
- American Enterprise Institute- Join a research based think tank on Foreign Policy, Politics, Economics, Communications, Accounting, etc.
- Center for Strategic & International Studies- Interns help with conducting and organizing research and attending events.
- Council on Foreign Relations- Year-round opportunities in New York and DC. Internships available in administration, research, publishing, communications, etc. 16-21 hours/week.
International Internship Opportunities
- State Department Consular Fellows Program- Paid, non-career position to serve for 60 months with the Foreign Service abroad.
- U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program- An unpaid internship to serve in U.S. embassies around the world or several stateside bureaus in Washington D.C. and across the U.S.
- U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program- Intern in an embassy abroad for 8-14 weeks. Unpaid, housing often covered. Apply at https://www.usajobs.gov/.
- U.S. Foreign Service Internship Program- two full-time summer internships for sophomores or juniors in college. The first is in Washington, D.C., and the second is in an embassy abroad. Interns are paid as a salaried government employee. Apply at https://www.usajobs.gov/.
- Organization of American States- Options in Washington D.C. and South & Central America. Fluency in French, Spanish, or Portuguese required. Focuses on the promotion of democracy, conflict resolution and prevention, etc.
- List of top paid internships with NGOs.
Other International Opportunities
- Cultural Ambassadors to Spain- Teach English in Spain from October to May while being paid and studying the culture and language. (Applications open January-April.)
- Peace Corps- Volunteer around that world to give humanitarian aid.
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for High School Students and Young Professionals, Germany- An exchange with Germany to learn the culture and language. Travel, lodging, and studies are funded.
- Critical Language Scholarship Program- Learn a critical language in a target country. Program, housing, and travel are funded.
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program- Conduct research and teach English abroad.
- Pickering and Rangel Fellowship- Complete a funded master’s degree in international affairs. Includes 2 paid internships during school and guaranteed job at the end.