High School Seniors
First Semester - Senior Year
- Any time after October 1, you can start filling out your FAFSA. You’ll need to create a user name and password and you’ll be assigned an individualized PIN, so make sure you keep a copy of all this information handy.
- Fill out your FAFSA and any local financial aid documentation you may need.
- Now is the perfect time to research different types of financial aid and understand the differences between grants, scholarships, federal student loans, and private student loans.
- Go to any and all financial aid events you get the opportunity to.
- Start researching scholarship opportunities, both online and offline. Local scholarships tend to have less competition so check your local papers and community bulletin boards.
Second Semester - Senior Year
- Check the status of your FAFSA.
- Apply for any private scholarships you may have found.
- Select the financial aid package you have been approved for. Make sure you do this prior to the deadline.
- Get in touch with your college’s financial aid office if you need any clarifications or to negotiate a better financial aid package.
- Mark the deadline to pay your first tuition bill and make sure you have all your finances in order. You definitely do not want to miss this deadline.