Tuition & Financial Aid

We offer one of the most affordable Master of Arts in English degree in Utah.
Along with the small price come small class sizes, generally 15 students. In addition, all of our faculty hold terminal degrees and are passionate about teaching. All of this makes a master’s in English at Weber State University a terrific value. 

How much will it cost for the MA?

The estimated cost to complete the degree can be found using the Tuition/Fee table.

Most students complete the 33-credit-hour minimum in 6 semesters.

Tuition/Fee Table

Does the program offer scholarships?

Yes. Scholarships are generally awarded during the spring semester for the following year. While awarding scholarships, we carefully consider academic performance, contributions to the profession and contributions to the program.

We gladly offer the following scholarships:

Diversity Award
This scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who represents a minoritized population in any way (race/ethnicity, sexual identity, language, country of origin, etc.). 

Need-Based Completion Award
This scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who is within 12 credit hours of graduation and who has demonstrated financial need. 

Excellence in Public Scholarship or Creativity Award
This scholarship will be awarded to an applicant who excels in public-facing scholarly/creative activity.

To apply for any of these scholarships, you will need to complete a FAFSA and fill out a scholarship application form. Read on for further information concerning these items. 

Is financial aid available for graduate students?

Yes. You may receive un-subsidized loans to help offset costs.

To apply, you'll need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will be classified as full-time if you register for 9 graduate semester hours. However, for the purposes of financial aid, you must be registered half-time, which requires a minimum of 5 graduate credit hours.

Apply for Financial Aid

Are Teaching and Research Assistantships available?

Yes. Each year, the program employs Research Assistants and Teaching Assistants.

Research Assistants earn a tuition waiver* plus an hourly wage in exchange for an equal number of hours assisting English professors with their research projects.

Teaching Assistants earn up to three credits of tuition waivers* and stipend for each three-credit course they teach. Teaching Assistants work under the mentorship of our Composition director and are required to complete the following courses in addition to those that fulfill their degree requirements:

MENG 6822 Teaching College Writing **
MENG 6823 Teaching Practicum
MENG 6130 Theories of Rhetoric and Composition

* Tuition waivers do not include the cost of the graduate differential or student fees

** The Composition director may waive this course for students who have prior teaching experience

Is funding available for conference travel?

Yes. We love it when our students are invited to present their work! Please let the MA English program director know if you have accepted to present at a conference. You are eligible for up to $500 to support your conference fees and travel.