WSU will host the 2022 Utah Regional PAT Conference on Saturday, March 26, 2022
Our keynote speaker will be Dr. Eladio Bobadilla, Assistant Professor of University of Kentucky, who will be speaking on Latinx contributions to American history. Dr. Bobadilla is also one of the featured authors of Civil Rights in Black and Brown: Histories of Resistance and Struggle (2021).
Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to submit a proposal to present their research at the conference. Please contact our chapter, advisor, Dr. Matthew Romaniello, 801-626-6783 email@example.com for further information. Proposals are due by February 1, 2022.
WSU Alpha Gamma Omicron Chapter Information:
Phi Alpha Theta is the National History Honor Society dedicated to research, publication, teaching, and an exchange of ideas among historians. At WSU we have an active membership that participates regularly in conferences and fundraisers. Alpha Gamma Omicron is skillfully led by a student officer corps that works diligently to promote PAT and develop interesting, fun, and educational opportunities for its members.
Recent PAT Member Conference Paper Prize Winners:
Reasons to Join PAT:
- 2020: Ashley Smouse, PAT Regional Conference at Brigham Young University, Award for "The Cross and the Reconquista"
- 2015: Bronson Pace, PAT Regional Conference at Weber State University, Award for First Place Undergraduate Paper (Tied), “The Royal Society’s Response to the Science of Climate Change, 1950-1990.”
- 2015: Avery Pince, PAT Regional Conference at Weber State University, Award for Second Place Undergraduate Paper (Tied), “Race & the Spectacle of Empire: Popular consumption of Ethnography and Science in France's Third Republic, 1870-1930.”
- Opportunity to present papers and receive prizes at regional and national conferences.
- PAT looks great on graduate school applications or a resume for teaching positions; and frequently provides opportunities to work especially close with faculty and to develop relationships leading to strong letters of recommendations for graduate programs and employment.
- Official Phi Alpha Theta Honor cords for graduating seniors.
The Alpha Gamma Omicron Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta admits members during both Fall and Spring Semesters. The following requirements must be met at the time of application:
- 12 completed hours of History classes
- 3.1 minimum GPA in History classes
- 3.0 minimum Cumulative GPA
- $60 membership fee (includes Lifetime PAT Membership, one-year subscription to The Historian and The New Letter)
Becoming a Member:
Submit completed application form including unofficial WSU transcripts and $60 (cash or check made payable to “Weber State University” and list Phi Alpha Theta in memo line) to the Phi Alpha Theta Faculty Advisor or the History Dept office, LH260.
Once your completed application has been accepted, you will be allowed to fully participate in all PAT events. You will receive an invitation to your official initiation into PAT at an end-of-semester (or otherwise indicated) ceremony. At the ceremony you will receive a membership certificate.
Advisor : Dr. Matthew Romaniello, 801-626-6783 firstname.lastname@example.org
PAT’s national site: https://phialphatheta.org/