Resting Metabolic Testing
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is the energy required for the body to maintain vital functions of the body in a resting state. In other words, it tells us how many calories your body needs just to stay alive. This then can be used to estimate daily caloric intake needs.
Resting Metabolic Rate
Details: Ideally, the test must be done in the morning. After you arrive at the lab, you will rest 30 minutes before the test by laying on a padded bench. Then, a fishbowl-looking hood will be placed over your head to continuously measure the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide that you breathe in and out. The lights will be dimmed to ensure a relaxing environment; however, you must not fall asleep. The test lasts about an hour.
Instructions: To ensure the most accurate results as possible, please
- Wear loose fitting comfortable clothing.
- Try to get 8 hours of sleep the night before.
- Test should be done in the morning.
- Come fasted. Do not eat or drink for 8-12 hours before the test.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and caffeine for at least 8 hours before the test.
- Avoid exercise for 1-2 days before the test.
|Lab Service||Students/WSU Affiliates
Exempt from Employee Wellness
|Resting Energy Expenditure||$20||$30||$40|