INSTITUTIONAL CERTIFICATION IN HEALTHCARE CODING & CLASSIFICATION
Be Brilliant with online and in-person programs and certificates
Our 27-credit hour certificate program consists of 10 courses dedicated to developing your ability to use the International Classification of Diseases, version 10 (ICD-10-CM) and the Common Procedural Terminology (CPT). Learn the skills needed for both outpatient/office practice and acute-care inpatient levels of proficiency. You can use and apply both coding schemes in the systems of reimbursement for healthcare services. No previous college experience is necessary.
- All courses are self-paced and online
- Learn from our experienced instructors who thoroughly understand the industry
- Get the training you need for a lifelong career without traveling to campus for courses
- No previous college experience is necessary
- All courses are dedicated curriculum to the healthcare coding and classification certification no additional general education courses are required
The Certificate of Proficiency can be obtained in 4 semesters using the recommended curriculum schedule below.
AHIMA's Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credential is considered the "gold standard" for facility coding. This credential demonstrates master level coding proficiency.
AHIMA's Coding Associate (CCA) is a wonderful first step that distinguishes credentialed coders from non-credential coders by demonstrating coding competencies across all settings.
This program provides the foundational education required for success of these certification exams.
With your certificate in Healthcare Coding and Classification you will complete the required prerequistes to advance your education to our Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology or our Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management. You'll also be able to work in a variety of healthcare careers, such as:
- Coder, Coder Technician, Coder Manager
- Inpatient/Outpatient Coder
The average salary for this certification is around $44,500, this varies depending on location and experience level.
Discover more career options here.
before you begin, get to know what courses will be required for this degree
- HTHS 1101: Medical Terminology (2)
- HTHS 1110: LS Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
Total credit hours: 6
TIP: Students with no college experience may be more successful if they take their first course or two (such as HTHS 1110) in a traditional campus setting face-to-face before beginning their online courses.
After completing your required prerequisites, please meet with our Dumke College of Health Professions Office of Admissions Advisement.
- HTHS 1111: Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- HTHS 2240: Introduction to Pharmacology (3)
Total credit hours: 7
- HTHS 2230: Introductory Pathophysiology (3)
- HIM 2300: Diagnosis Coding (3)
Total credit hours: 6
- HIM 2320: Ambulatory & Physician Office Coding (3)
- HIM 2330: Classification Systems Topics & Reimbursement (2)
- HIM 2410: ICD-10-PCS Coding (2)
- HIM 2863: Professional Practice Experience in Coding (1)
Total credit hours: 8
OTHER DEGREES IN THIS FIELD
everybody's path towards furthering their education looks a little bit different, DISCOVER your options!
Great care is in demand. BE BRILLIANT.
meet with our faculty advisor and get started today!
We are here to help you! If you have questions or are interested in learning more about our Healthcare Coding and Classification Certificate, please connect with us today and start pursuing your dream tomorrow!
Request More Information