BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
Health Information Management
Students with a Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management develop a background in information systems technologies and their application to the provision of healthcare. When you finish this program, you are qualified to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA®) exam.
- Flexible course delivery formats are available in a face-to-face settings, online or through independent study
- Learn from our experienced instructors who thoroughly understand the industry
- Our graduates report high rates of satisfaction with the curriculum and program
- Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management will focus on a technical and practical skill set you need to be a manager in health information. You'll gain experience and knowledge in:
- Healthcare provisions and technologies
- Data analytics and management information
- Human resources and quality improvement
As a Bachelor of Science graduate in Health Information Management, you'll be able to work in a variety of healthcare organizations and settings. Our graduates go on to obtain jobs like:
- HIM Manager
- Business Analyst
- Information Security Manager
- Research and Development Scientist
- Practitioner Consultant
The average salary for our Bachelor degree graduates with RHIA® certification is around $80,600, this varies depending on location and experience level.
Discover more career options here.
The Health Information Management accreditor of Weber State University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2028/29 year.
All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at email@example.com.
80% of students find healthcare employment within one (1) year of graduation
100% of students graduate within the FAFSA approved timeline of graduation
100% student satisfaction with HIM program
84% of HIM program graduates passed the RHIA certification examination on their first attempt
*numbers are based on the 2019-2020 academic year
before you begin, get to know what courses will be required for this degree
Required Prerequisite Courses
- HTHS 1101: Medical Terminology (2)
- HTHS 1110: LS Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
Total credit hours: 6
Some students meet our prerequisites through previous completion of a Health Information Technology Program. Students should consult with an advisor before selecting educational courses.
TIP: Students with no college experience may be more successful if they take their first course or two (such as HTHS 1110) in a traditional campus setting face-to-face before beginning their online courses.
After completing your required prerequisites, please meet with our Dumke College of Health Professions Office of Admissions Advisement.
Required Support Courses
- MIS 2010: Business Computer Skills (1)
- ACTG 2010: Survey of Accounting I (3)
Total credit hours: 4
View the full course catalog for more details.
- HIM 3200: Epidemiology & Biostatistics (5)
- HTHS 1111: Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- HTHS 2230: Intro to Pathophysiology (3)
- HTHS 2240: Intro to Pharmacology (3)
- HIM 2000: Introduction to Health Information Systems & Settings (3)
- HIM 2250: Healthcare Privacy & Security (3)
- HIM 2300: Diagnosis Coding (3)
- HIM 2320: Ambulatory & Physician Office Coding (3)
- HIM 2330: Healthcare Reimbursement (2)
- HIM 2410: ICD-10-PCS Coding (2)
- HIM 2500: Healthcare Data Management (3)
- HIM 2861: Professional Practice Experience (2)
- HIM 2862: Professional Practice Management (2)
- HIM 2863: Professional Practice Experience in Coding (1)
- HIM 3000: Health Informatics (3)
- HIM 3300: Introduction to Quality Improvement in Healthcare (3)
- HIM 3450: Healthcare Systems Analysis & Design (3)
- HIM 3500: Biomedical Research Support (2)
- HIM 3550: Healthcare Data Analytics (3)
- HIM 3610: Advanced Principles of Revenue Cycle Management (3)
- HIM 4100: Health Information Services Management (3)
- HAS 3000: The Healthcare System (3)
- HAS 3230: Health Communication (3)
- HAS 3240: Human Resource Development in Healthcare (3)
- HAS 3260: Healthcare Administrative & Supervisory Theory (3)
- HAS 3750: Healthcare Financial Administration (3)
- HAS 4860: Practicum/Internship (4)
OR HIM 4990: Baccalaureate Thesis & Presentation (3)
Total credit hours: 62-63
OTHER DEGREES IN THIS FIELD
everybody's path towards furthering their education looks a little bit different, DISCOVER your options!
YOUR PURSUIT STARTS HERE
meet with our faculty advisor and get started today!
We are here to help you! If you have questions or are interested in learning more about our Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management, please connect with us today and start pursing your dream tomorrow!
Note: This program requires you to complete a background check, drug screen and proof of immunizations before you begin your Professional Practice Experience courses (HIM 2861 & 2862). To learn more, please follow the link here.
Request More Information