ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE IN HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Be Brilliant with online and in-person programs and certificates.
The Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology (HIT) prepares you to succeed in the growing field of healthcare coding and information management. The AAS program is an excellent stepping stone between a healthcare coding certificate and a bachelor's degree in health information management.
- Flexible course delivery formats are available in a face-to-face settings, online or through independent study
- Learn from our experienced instructors who thoroughly understand the industry
- Our graduates report high rates of satisfaction with the curriculum and program
- Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The AAS degree in Health Information Technology will focus on a technical and practical skill set, including (but not limited to):
- Coding diseases and operations
- Releasing medical information appropriately
- Maintaining statistical measures
- Using related computer software
View the complete list of course requirements below.
As an AAS graduate in Health Information Technology, you'll be able to work in a variety of healthcare organizations and settings, such as:
- Insurance companies
- Medical clinics and hospitals
- Home health agencies
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Mental health facilities
- Public health agencies
- Software vendors
- Health maintenance organizations
The average salary for our Associate degree graduates is around $58,500, this varies depending on location and experience level.
Discover more career options here.
The Health Information Management accreditor of Weber State University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for the Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology degree has been reaffirmed through the 2028/29 year.
All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 92% of students find healthcare employment within one (1) year of graduation
- 100% of students graduate within the FAFSA approved timeline of graduation
- 100% student statisfaction with the HIT program
- 100% of HIT program graduates passed the RHIT certification examination on their first attempt
*numbers are based on the 2021-2022 academic year
before you begin, get to know what courses will be required for this degree
- HTHS 1101: Medical Terminology (2)
- HTHS 1110: LS Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
Total credit hours: 6
TIP: Students with no college experience may be more successful if they take their first course or two (such as HTHS 1110) in a traditional campus setting face-to-face before beginning their online courses.
After completing your required prerequisites, please meet with our Dumke College of Health Professions Office of Admissions Advisement.
- HIM 2000: Intro to Health Information (3)
- HIM 2250: Healthcare Privacy & Security (3)
- HIM 2300: Diagnosis Coding (3)
- HIM 2320: Ambulatory & Physician Office Coding (3)
- HIM 2330: Classification Systems Topics & Reimbursement (2)
- HIM 2410: ICD-10-PCS Coding (2)
- HIM 2500: Healthcare Database Management & Security (3)
- HIM 2861: Professional Practice Experiences I, 2nd year course (2)
- HIM 2862: Professional Practice Experiences II, 2nd year course (2)
- HIM 2863: Professional Practice Experience in Coding (1)
- HIM 3000: Computer Applications in Health Care (3)
- HIM 3300: Introduction to Quality Improvement in Health Care (3)
Total credit hours: 31
Required Support Courses
- HTHS 1111: Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- HTHS 2230: Intro to Pathophysiology (3)
- HTHS 2240: Intro to Pharmacology (3) OR
HTHS 3240: Pharmacology Principles & Clinical Applications (3)
- HAS 3000: The Health Care System (3)
- WEB 1700: Computer Literacy (3)
- MATH 1030: QL Contemporary Mathematics OR Mathematics Competency Exam OR
HIM 3200: Epidemiology & Biostatistics (5)
Total credit hours: 19-21
OTHER DEGREES IN THIS FIELD
everybody's path towards furthering their education looks a little bit different, DISCOVER your options!
Great care is in demand. BE BRILLIANT.
meet with our faculty advisor and get started today!
Visit our admissions page and start your online application today.
We are here to help you! If you have questions or are interested in learning more about our Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology, please connect with us today and start pursuing your dream tomorrow!
Note: This program requires you to complete a background check, drug screen and proof of immunizations before you begin your Professional Practice Experience courses (HIM 2861 & 2862). To learn more, please follow the link here.
Request More Information
HIT & HCC Advisor
Dumke Center, room 214
3959 Stadium Way, Dept. 3911
Ogden, Utah 84408-3911