Resources For Mentors
Mentoring students, especially underrepresented students, requires knowledge of various resources around the community and on our campus that could help them. Please reference these resources when meeting with your mentee. If you know of any other resources not listed here please let us know!
Get Help With Essentials
This link provides resources on and off campus for food pantries, housing, applying for SNAP and unemployment, child care options, transportation and health & safety resources.
Resources for Students:
- Get Essential Needs
- Get Academic Help
- Get Healthy (Physical and Mental)
- Get Involved
- Get Financial Help
- Get Mentoring & Advising
- Get Focused Support
Faculty and Staff in Mentoring roles can always make use of additional training and readings to improve their impact on students. If interested, please reference the following training options and references that could be of use.
Training Tracker (in your eWeber Portal):
- 100-07 Building a Safe Campus through Trust and Education
- 100-08 Safe@Weber: Supporting Survivors
- 145-18 Academic Advising Referrals and Resources
- 147-10 Discrimination, Harassment & Sexual Misconduct
- 190-09 FERPA Online Training
- Ambler, T., Harvey, M., & Cahir, J. (2016). University academics’ experiences of learning through mentoring. The Australian Educational Researcher, 43, 609-627. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13384-016-0214-7
- Chan, A. W. (2008). Mentoring ethnic minority, pre‐doctoral students: An analysis of key mentor practices. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 16(3), 263-277. https://doi.org/10.1080/13611260802231633
- Dollinger, M., Arkoudis, S., & Marangell, S. (2019). University alumni mentoring programs: A win-win?. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 41(4), 375-389. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360080X.2019.1617657
- Law, K. L., Guthrie, D. D., Beaver, B. R., Johnson, S. M., Parys, J., & Toms, O. M. (2019). Faculty and staff perceptions of undergraduate mentoring. Mentoring & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 27(4), 399-415. https://doi.org/10.1080/13611267.2019.1649918
- Rabb, R. J., Welch, R. W., Davis, W. J., Ragan, D. D., & Geathers, J. (2019). Small mentoring efforts that make a big difference for retention. ASEE 2019 Annual Conference, Tampa, FL.