BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (completion)
Be Brilliant with programs designed with you in mind.
If you have completed your Associate of Science in Dental Hygiene at WSU or another accredited university and are looking to advance to a Bachelor of Science, then this is the degree for you. Finish your education and discover the possibilities.
Please visit weber.edu/transfer for more information on accredited universities and transfer credits.
- Diverse educational experiences, with clinic opportunities dedicated to offering healthcare services to the underserved
- Learn from our experienced instructors who thoroughly understand the industry
- Our graduates report high rates of satisfaction with the curriculum and program
- Program enrollment is competitive and takes just 30 students each fall
- Estimated total program cost for in-state students is $15,305
- Estimate total program cost for out-of-state tuition is $27,000
The Associate of Science degree in Dental Hygiene will help you to pursue a career in dental care and hygiene. You'll gain experience and knowledge in:
- Clinical dental work
- Patient care
- Dental anatomy
- Cleaning and maintaining
- Interprofessional education
- Attention to details
- Problem solving skills
As a Bachelor of Science graduate in the Dental Hygiene program, you'll be able to begin work immediately as a Dental Hygienist.
Our graduates often go directly into the workforce, but many return to pursue their bachelors in Dental Hygiene. Explore more about Bachelor degree under the Degrees tab.
The average starting salary for this degree in the state of Utah is usually around $55,000, however this varies greatly depending on clinics and hours.
before you begin, get to know what courses will be required for this degree
General Education & Support Courses
The Department of Dental Hygiene upholds the University requirements for general education. For the most recent University standards, please visit the WSU catalog.
Required Prerequisite Courses
The following courses will meet some of your general education requirements and serve as prerequisite courses to the Dental Hygiene program. These courses must be completed prior to starting the Dental Hygiene program.
- COMM 1020 or COMM 2110 (3)
- ENGL 1010: Introductory College Writing (3)
- ENGL 2010 Intermediate College Writing (3)
- LIBS 1704, HTHS 2904 or WEB 1504 (1)
- MATH QL Requirements, please meet with your academic advisor
- NUTR 1020: Science & Application of Human Nutrition (3)
- PSY 1010: Introductory Psychology (3)
- SOC 1010 Introduction to Sociology (3)
Required Science Courses
- HTHS 1110 Integrated Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
- HTHS 1111 Integrated Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- HTHS 2230 Introduction to Pathophysiology (3)
- Additional 3 credit hours of Physical Science
- ZOOL 2100 Human Anatomy (4)
- ZOOL 2200 Human Physiology (4)
- HTHS 2230 Introduction to Pathophysiology (3)
- CHEM 1050 or CHEM 1110 (5)
- MICR 1113 Introductory Microbiology (3)
Required science courses must be taken within five (5) years of your anticipated program start date.
Associate of Science (transfer)
The following courses, or their equivalent, will needed to be completed to move on to your Bachelor of Sciences courses:
- DENT 2201 Concepts of Community Dental Health (1)
- DENT 2205 Head/Neck and Dental Anatomy (2)
- DENT 2206 Clinical Dental Hygiene/Radiology (4)
- DENT 2207 Dental Hygiene I (3)
- DENT 2208 Radiology (2)
- DENT 2211 Oral Pathology (3)
- DENT 2215 Periodontology (2)
- DENT 2216 Clinical Dental Hygiene II (3)
- DENT 2217 Dental Hygiene II (3)
- DENT 2219 Dental Materials (1)
- DENT 2235 Dental Medicine I (2)
- DENT 2250 Professional Ethics (1)
- DENT 3301 Community Dental Health Service Learning Lab (1)
- DENT 3305 Pain Control (3)
- DENT 3336 Clinical Dental Hygiene III (4)
- DENT 3337 Dental Hygiene III (3)
- DENT 3346 Clinical Dental Hygiene IV (4)
- DENT 3347 Dental Hygiene IV (2)
Total credit hours: 44 hours
Bachelor of Science
The following courses will be required to earn you Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene:
- DENT 4530 Principles & Application of Evidence-Based Dental Hygiene Practice (2)
- DENT 4780 Baccalaureate Thesis (3)
- DENT 4890 Advanced Community or Clinical Work Experience (2)
Total credit hours: 7
ADMISSIONS & APPLICATION PROCESS
below you will find all the information you need about applying to our program
It is critical that all parts of the application process be completed and submitted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please read the instructions carefully on the application forms and checklist.
Application evaluation includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Grade point average (GPA)
- Prior dental experience
- Committee review
- Completion of the essay portion (see application for further instructions)
- Prior college or university experience
- Completed prerequisites courses
Students will be notified by mail mid-March.
Weber State University does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital, veteran or disability status.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JANUARY 15
- Completion of four (4) years of high school or equivalent
- Completion of one (1) year of prerequisite coursework (see above under General Education & Support Courses)
- Submission of all college and university transcripts
- Submission of the dental hygiene application form and attachments
- Submission of required $25 non-refundable application fee
- Application and acceptance to Weber State University in good academic standing
The following applications will NOT be reviewed:
- Applications submitted past January 15
- Applicants that have prerequisite GPAs below 2.5, and/or a science GPA below 2.5
- Applications that do not contain final grades on at least two (2) of the specific required science courses and at least four (4) of the additional prerequisite courses (six courses total)
- Science courses that are seven (7) years or older
- Application for Admissions - opens October 1, 2023.
- Employment Verification Form
Great care is in demand. BE BRILLIANT.
meet with our advisors and get started today!
We are here to help you! If you have questions or are interested in learning more about our Associate of Science degree in Dental Hygiene, please connect with us today and start pursing your dream tomorrow!
Request More Information