Deadline for Fiction, Non-Fiction and Poetry
January 23rd, 2015 at Midnight
Deadline for Visual Art, Music and Film
January 30th, 2015 at Midnight
Metaphor Interdisciplinary Journal Volume XXXIV Submission GuidelinesMetaphor accepts submissions in the following categories:
- Short stories
- Flash fiction
- Vignettes, etc.
- Critical literature and research
- Creative non-fiction
- All genres (must be accompanied by a recording)
- Visual Arts
- 3D (all entries must be photographed)
Metaphor is now accepting submissions year round. Submissions received must be done at the undergraduate level. Graduate students’ entries will not be accepted. Submissions must be received before the annual deadline to be considered for the 2014-2015 publication.
All works submitted must be original by the author, and not previously published elsewhere. If a student’s work is accepted, Weber State Metaphor reserves first rights to the piece. (Students may submit these pieces elsewhere after Metaphor accepts or rejects them.)
Judging of PiecesAll submissions will be judged as blind entries – the names of the authors will be kept confidential until the preferred pieces are selected. Students will be notified by mail when the final decision has been made. All judging decisions are final.
- Students are limited to three submissions within each category, but may submit to different categories.
- Written pieces are limited to 4000 words and poetry to no more than two pages each.
- All submissions must be in 12 point Times New Roman font. Layout of works is left to the author.
- Foreign language pieces will be accepted if accompanied by English translation.
- Each piece must be entered individually through the submissions webpage.
- Contact details must be on the submissions webpage only. Do not include any identifying information on your submission or it will not be accepted.
- Title of work needs to be listed on every page of the manuscript, with page numbers if necessary.
- Please include a “Works Cited” page when needed. The format chosen should be noted on the submissions webpage.
- An electronic copy must be submitted through the submissions webpage at weber.edu/metaphor. Music should be saved in .mp3 format, Literature should be saved in .rtf format, and Visual Arts submissions should be saved in .pdf or .jpg formats.
The online system can only accept works under 4.5 megabytes. If art, music, dance, theater, or film pieces are larger than this, a CD or DVD-R should be submitted to either the English Department office, or the Metaphor office by 12:00 NOON JANUARY 30th. The disc should include the artist's name, phone number, email address, and the title of the piece. The artist should then go through the online submission system and instead of attaching the piece, attach a note indicating that a disc was submitted. CDs and DVD-Rs will not be returned.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE ENTERED THIS WAY. Submissions not following these guidelines are subject to rejection.
Be aware that the English department professors, secretaries, and staff are NOT responsible for deadlines, editing, or publication of submissions. Metaphor staff is made up of student volunteers, and publication is paid for by student fees.Online Submission Page
Metaphor also encourages students to submit their work to the National Undergraduate Literature Conference (NULC). Students may dual-submit work to both Metaphor and NULC.NULC Submission Page