International Community Engaged Learning Program
Service Trip Abroad in Peru
- Where: Chiclayo, Peru
- Lodging: Host sites around Chiclayo
- When: June 16-July 3, 2014
- $2750 – current WSU student
- $3150 – WSU alumni and partners
- Applications are due February 17th
After the completed application has been submitted to the Center for Community Engaged Learning, applicants will be interviewed and then notified per their acceptance to the program. If you are accepted to travel with us, your $900 deposit will be due within 48 hours, so have the funds ready.
Interviews will take place on Feb. 24-28, 2014.
The $900 nonrefundable program deposit must be paid to the Information Desk in the Shepherd Union building as follows:
First payment ($900) due within 48 hours of acceptance notification.
Second payment ($900) due Friday, April 11, 2014.
Final payment (balance) due Wednesday, May 7, 2014
We will complete five main projects.
- The first will be cleaning, repairing and installing new playground equipment in an impoverished neighborhood.
- Our second project will be adding to a continued project of our partnering University, Juan Mejia Baca University, to construct a storefront to help teach women business skills that will assist them in creating their own personal businesses.
- Our third project will be laying a cement floor for a community day care facility.
- Forth, we will be installing a potable water line for a community that currently has their water brought in by truck twice per week.
- Finally, we will be installing an English library at an elementary school and painting their courtyard with a mural.
Participants will be expected to attend a series of five mandatory pre-trip meetings. In these meetings, we will cover everything from required immunizations, fundraising options and logistics to local culture, customs and food. The mandatory meetings are scheduled as follows:
March 7th 3:00-5:00 – SU 320
March 24th 3:00-5:00 – SU 321
April 18th 3:00-5:00 – SU 321
May 9th 3:00-5:00 – SU 321
May 30th 3:00-5:00 – SU 321
17th – Applications due
24th – February 28th – Interviews
3rd – Applicants will be notified
5th – $900 deposit due at the Information Desk
7th – Pre-trip meeting, 3:00-5:00 pm, SU 320
24th – Pre-trip meeting, 3:00-5:00 pm, SU 321
11th - $900 payment due at the Information Desk
18th – Pre-trip meeting, 3:00-5:00 pm, SU 321
7th – Balance due to the Information Desk
9th – Pre-trip meeting, 3:00-5:00 pm, SU 321
30th – Pre-trip meeting, 3:00-5:00 pm, SU 321
Ways to get involved:
- Apply to travel with us. 20 slots will be available for current WSU students. 10 slots will be reserved for WSU alumni.
- Donate to the trip: Monetary donations are being accepted through the WSU Development Office. Please contact Denise Thielfoldt for more information.
(see picture below).