John Kelly - Qualifications and Credentials
- Title: Professor, B.S. Degree Program Coordinator, Program Manager.
- Office: Technical Education (TE) Building Room 201E
- Phone: 801-626-7183
- Fax: 801-626-7917
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1998 - Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction - Weber State University
- 1993 - Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering Technology - Weber State University
- 1991 - Associate of Applied Science in Automotive Service - GM ASEP - Weber State University.
- 1990 - Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Technology - Weber State University.
- 1980 - Graduate of Box Elder High School - Brigham City, Utah. Howard Gittens, Auto Shop Teacher.
- ASE Master Automobile Technician Certification (1988 - today). (expires 12-31-2018)
- ASE A9 Light Vehicle Diesel Certification (2009 - today). (expires 06-30-2019)
- ASE L1 Advanced Engine Performance Specialist Certification (1994 - today). (expires 06-30-2019)
- ASE L2 Electronic Diesel Engine Diagnosis Specialist (2009 - today). (expires 12-30-2019)
- ASE F1 Light Vehicle Compressed Natural Gas Certification (2010 - today) (expires 12-30-2019)
- ASE G1 Maintenance and Light Repair Certification (2013 - today). (expires 12-31-2018)
- General Motors World Class Master Technician Certification. (2002 - today)
- Toyota Certified Master Level Technician (5-1-2009 - today)
- Toyota Certified TTEN Instructor in Chassis, Drivetrain, Electrical, Engine, and Hybrid (5-31-2012 - today)
- Chrysler Level 4 certifications in Automatic Transmissions, Brakes, and Climate Control Systems.
- Honda Master Technician Certification and Civic Natural Gas Vehicles Certification.
- EPA Clean Air Act - Section 609 Refrigerant Handling Certification (1991 - Today).
- Hybrid-Electric Vehicle Training Certifications from:
- Chrysler (Two-mode) (2008)
- Ford (Focus, Escape, Fusion) (2006 - Today)
- General Motors (Two-Mode, BAS, E-Assist, Volt) (2008-Today)
- Honda (Insight, Civic, Accord, and CRZ (2001 - Today)
- Toyota (Prius Family, Camry HV, Highlander HV). (2001 - Today)
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Training Certification - Fully trained on the Chevrolet Volt from the General Motors Training Center, Burbank, CA. (2011 - Today)
Thirty-five years in the Automotive Industry.
- 2014 - Today - Professor in the Automotive Technology Department at Weber State University.
- 2010 - Today - Program Manager of the Automotive Technology Department at Weber State University.
- 2009 - 2014 - Associate Professor in the Automotive Technology Department at Weber State University.
- 2006 - 2010 - Chairman of the Automotive Technology Department at Weber State University.
- 2005 - 2006 - Manager of the Automotive Technology Program at Weber State University.
- 2004 - 2009 - Assistant Professor in the Automotive Technology Program at Weber State University.
- 1991 - 2004 - Thirteen years as an instructor at the General Motors Training Center at Weber State University.
- 1989 - 1991 - Adjunct Instructor for the Automotive Program at Weber State University
- 1979 - 1991 - Twelve years as an automobile technician working for independent repair shops (George's Goodyear Tires and Parson's Texaco) and various General Motors Dealerships (Hansen Motor Company, Freeway Oldsmobile-Cadillac, and John Watson Chevrolet in Utah; Hagen Chevrolet in San Diego California).
- Member of the Utah Clean Cities Coalition Electric Vehicle Task Force. http://www.utahcleancities.org 2013 - today
- Member of the Utah Clean Cities Coalition Technical Advisory Committee. 2012 - today
- Member of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE International) 2002 - Today
- Member of the Weber State University Parking Committee. 2010 - today
- Member of the Weber State University Faculty Senate. 2007 - 2010
- Member of the Weber State University Academic Resources and Computing Committee (ARCC) 2007-2008
- Advisory Committee member of the Job Corps automotive program - Clearfield, UT. 2007 - today
- Member of, and Certified Test Proctor for, the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association
- Member of, and Certified Test Proctor for, the Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS).
- 2014 - August 15 - Interviewed for Bottom Line Personal Magazine. "The right way to pump gas" http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/home-a-family/the-right-way-to-pump-your-gas
- 2014 - June 16-18 - Presenter at Utah State Office of Education Summer Conference - "Hybrid Vehicle Diagnosis and Service"
- 2014 - February 26 - Speaker - Hybrid and Electric Vehicles, "What you can do to minimize your personal contribution to Utah's air quality problem". Weber State University Union Building - Fireplace Lounge. http://www.standard.net/stories/2014/02/27/wsu-auto-tech-professor-preaches-long-term-economy-hybrids-electric-cars
- 2014 - February 1 - Speaker - Annual Utah Association of Career and Technical Educators Conference - West Lake, Utah - Hybrids and Electric Vehicles in Education
- 2014 - Contributing editor for Motor Age Magazine - See the January 2014 print issue or online at http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/undercar-service-repair/whats-new-hybrid-systems
- 2013 - September 14. The WeberAuto Youtube Channel hit 2 Million Views with over 5600 Subscribers.
- 2013 - Contributing editor for Motor Age Magazine - See the August 2013 print issue or online at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/undercar-service-repair/automatic-transmission-servicing
- 2013 - Contributing editor for Motor Age Magazine - See the March 2013 print issue or online at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/electrical/hybrid-horsepower-hybrid-ev-racing-technology
- 2013 - Contributing editor for Motor Age Magazine - See the January 2013 print issue or online at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/undercar-service-repair/practical-hybrid-service-tips
- 2013 - January 19. The WeberAuto Youtube Channel hit 1 Million Views with over 1700 Subscribers.
- 2012 - Contributing editor for Motor Age magazine - See the June 2012 print issue or online at: http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/undercar-service-repair/bad-automotive-vibes?cid=95876
- 2011 - Chevrolet Volt #6111 owner for electric vehicle research.
- 2011-2012 - Developed and teach Hybrid and Alternate Fueled Vehicle workshops for non-WSU students.
- 2011 - Overhauled and updated the Weber State University Automotive Technology department website www.weber.edu/automotive
- 2010 - Created the WSU Automotive Transmission Lab. Teaching specialty classes in automatic transmissions and manual drivetrain. Visit www.youtube.com/weberauto for more information and demonstrations.
- 2010 - Completely renovated and repainted most of the automotive shops at Weber State University.
- 2009 - November 28. Created the WeberAuto Youtube Channel to store and share automotive videos I create with my students and other schools.
- 2008-2009 - Curriculum designer and developer of several new advanced vehicle technologies classes including:
- 2007 - Vibration Software used in an article published by Babcock Publishing's "Brake and Front-End Magazine" January 2007.
- 2007-2008 - Supervised the revision of the entire Automotive Technology Bachelor of Science Degree program at Weber State University; three new degree options were added. Eleven new classes were added, four classes were revised. Designed and wrote a large part of the new and revised curriculum including online courses where applicable.
- 2005-2006 - Supervised the revision of the all seven Associate of Automotive Service Technology Applied Science Degree programs at Weber State University. Dedicated classes, instructors, materials, and vehicles were created for each of the seven degrees. Designed and wrote portions of the new curriculum.
- 2005 - Created and maintain the Automotive Technology department website www.weber.edu/automotive
- 2005 - Vibration Software used in an article published by ATRA Publishing's "Gears Magazine" December 2005.
- 2003 - Authored Book: Specialized Automotive Electronics Training - Weber State University Printing
- 2002 - today Wrote, designed, and teach four online courses for Weber State University in Automotive Electronics and Advanced Automotive Technologies.
- 1998 - Today - Designed, marketed, sold, and supported customized automobile and truck vibration diagnosis software. The latest version of the software is currently used worldwide by General Motors Corporation, Ford Motor Company, Freightliner Truck LLC., and Mazda USA in their training Centers for vibration diagnosis training. The use of the software is also called for in their service manuals and is used by their dealership technicians for vibration diagnosis. The software is sold worldwide by SPX Corporation, Kent-Moore Tools of Warren Michigan, Rotunda Tools of Dearborn Michigan, and by my company's website www.vibratesoftware.com.
- 1997-2004 - Participated as a Subject Matter Expert in the curriculum development for the following General Motors Corporate training courses: Automatic Transmission Diagnosis, Base Brake Systems, and Vibration Correction.
- 1991 - 2004 - Hired as an instructor at the General Motors Training Center at Weber State University.
- 1988 - Chevrolet Master Technician - Hansen Motor Company, Brigham City, UT
- 1988 - Oldsmobile Master Technician - Hansen Motor Company, Brigham City, UT
- 1985 - 1987 - Certified Chevrolet Technician - Hagen Chevrolet, San Diego, CA
- 1975 - Eagle Scout, Troop 100, Brigham City, UT
- Currently writing a book on automobile and truck vibration diagnosis.