Facts and Questions about the MA at WSU

sBelow are frequently asked questions about the Master of Arts in English degree and program...

How do I know that the Master of Arts in English is the right degree for me to pursue?

If you love literature and want to develop your critical and creative thinking skills, we are the program for you.

Do I need a degree in English in order to be admitted to the program?

No, admission requires a completed Bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally-accredited institution.  Typically, 40% of our students are non-English majors.  Non-English undergraduates are generally required to take a few 5000-level classes that will count toward electives in the program.  Official transcripts are required for each school attended - unofficial transcripts are acceptable only from Weber State University.

If I am still completing my bachelor degree, can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply to the program while you are completing your undergraduate requirements.  If successful, your admission will be conditional until the completion of your undergraduate degree.  You will need to have a second transcript sent to our office confirming the completion of your undergraduate degree.  (We’ll verify WSU degrees.)

Is there a minimum undergraduate GPA score required for admission?

A GPA of 3.25 is preferred.  The minimum required for admission is a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.  If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, admission consideration may be based on a GPA calculated based on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate work.  Applicants with lower GPAs scores may be admitted to the program with strong post-baccalaureate career or writing experience as a mitigating factor.

When are MENG classes scheduled and how often do they meet?

MENG courses are primarily face-to-face instruction.  We do offer hybrid courses that blend face-to-face instruction with online assignments occasionally. Classes are held Monday through Thursday nights, each class meeting one night per week, usually from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. Classes generally involve an average of 10-15 hours of work outside of class per week.

Does the program involve full- or part-time study?

Part-time study consists of one or two classes per semester, and full-time study entails three courses per semester. Our program offers an unmatched degree of flexibility in allowing students to complete their MA in the evening at either a full-time or part-time pace, or switch between the two from semester to semester.  This allows students to temporarily stop out of the program if their schedules preclude them from successfully pursuing coursework.

How long will it take to complete the program?

The MA degree requires a minimum of 33 semester hours of graduate work. Individuals with non-English undergraduate degrees may be required to complete additional course work contingent on departmental analysis of their undergraduate transcripts.  Full-time students meet the requirements in four semesters, but most students complete their MA in seven semesters.  Time is dependent on how many classes are taken per semester. 

How much does the program cost?

A rough estimate of the total tuition costs for Utah residents at current tuition rates is approximately $17,000 to reach the 33 credit hour minimum.  The current tuition table can be viewed at http://www.weber.edu/bursar/TuitionFee_Tables.html .

Is financial aid available to graduate students?

Graduate students who are U.S. citizens and legal residents are eligible for the same student loan programs as undergraduates - for more information, see the WSU Financial Aid Office webpage at http://weber.edu/financialaid  Utah non-residents (including international students) may also be eligible for waivers which would reduce their tuition to Utah resident levels.  

Does the program provide teaching or research assistantship to MENG students?

We offer a limited number of teaching, research, and editing assistantships, which are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications for assistantships are required separately from the admissions applications.  They include a partial tuition waiver for up to four semesters and opportunities to enhance your vitae.