Withdrawing from School

Up through the 60 percent point in each semester or period or enrollment, a pro rata schedule is used to determine the amount of FSA funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal. After the 60 percent point in the semester or period of enrollment, a student has earned 100 percent of the Title IV funds he or she was scheduled to receive during the period. We recommend that all students contact a Financial Aid advisor before withdrawing.

If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds withdraws from a school after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined. If the amount disbursed to the student is greater than the amount the student earned, unearned funds must be returned. You may contact the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office for any questions at 801-626-7569 or email financialaid@weber.edu.

WSU returns Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid during the semester or period of enrollment as applicable, in the following order.


1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans

2. Subsidized Federal Stafford loans

3. Federal Perkins loans

4. Federal PLUS loans

5. Federal Pell Grants

6. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

7. Other awards (e.g., LEAP, UCOPE, and UHEAA Grants)

WARNING: If you leave school unofficially (UW) and WSU cannot determine your date of last attendance, you may be required to return all financial aid awarded you for that semester. This includes funds you may have used to pay tuition, fees and living expenses. 

If it is determined that you need to repay money received:

  • A national database reports the amount you owe
  • WSU places your records on hold
  • You will not receive financial aid from any other college or university
  • You will not be able to register at WSU

Also, according to the WSU Satisfactory Progress Policy, you will not be eligible to receive more financial aid until you make up all the classes you withdrew from, using your own funds. 

There are no special circumstances for money owed to the United States Department of Education. Department of Education collections department can be reached at (800) 621-3115.