English Teaching Minor
An initial advisement interview is required of students wishing to declare an English Teaching minor. English Teaching minors are required to meet with a faculty advisor at least twice annually for course and program advisement. If this requirement is not met, students may not be allowed to register for classes withing their minor. Please call 801.626.6251 for additional information or to schedule an appointment.
Students who select the English Teaching Minor must satisfy the Teacher Education admission and licensure requirements. Please see Teacher Education for details.
Credit hours required: 24. The number listed in parentheses after each course is the number of credit hours.
All of the following: (15 credit hours)
- ENGL 3020 Introduction to the Study of Language for Teachers (3) Prereq ENGL 2010
- ENGL 3080 Critical Approaches to Literature (3) (early in major) Prereq ENGL 2010
- ENGL 3400 The Teaching of Literature (3) Concurrently with ENGL 3410
- ENGL 3410 The Teaching of Writing (3) Concurrently with ENGL 3400
- ENGL 3420 Teaching with Young Adult Literature (3) Concurrently with ENGL 3020, 3400, and 3410.
Writing—one of the following (3 credit hours): Prereq ENGL 2010
- ENGL 3100 Professional & Technical Writing (3)
- ENGL 3210 Advanced College Writing (3)
- ENGL 3250 Advanced Fiction Writing (3)
- ENGL 3270 Magazine Article Writing (3)
- ENGL 3280 Biographical Writing (3)
American Literature—one of the following (3 credit hours) Prereq ENGL 3080
- ENGL 4520 American Literature: Early and Romantic (3)
- ENGL 4530 American Literature: Realism and Naturalism (3)
- ENGL 4540 American Literature: Modern (3)
- ENGL 4550 American Literature: Contemporary (3)
British Literature—one of the following (3 credit hours) Prereq ENGL 3080
- ENGL 4610 British Literature: Medieval (3)
- ENGL 4620 British Literature: Renaissance (3)
- ENGL 4630 British Literature: Neoclassical & Romantic (3)
- ENGL 4640 British Literature: Victorian (3)
- ENGL 4650 British Literature: Modern (3)
- ENGL 4660 British Literature: Contemporary (3)
Department of English News and Events
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weber State University
of Arts & Humanities
Weber State University
Ogden, Utah 84408-1404