How to file Utah Residency Petitions
WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY ADMISSIONS & UTAH RESIDENCY PETITIONS
PROCEDURES FOR FILING PETITIONS
Please read the following instructions outlined below. Failure to follow the instructions may result in a denial or delay of your request. PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE OR UNDOCUMENTED PETITIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
• Fill out the Admissions & Utah Residency Petition. State clearly what it is you are requesting and provide enough background information so your petition can be understood by those who do not know the details.
• Your request must be based on “reasonable grounds.” Please indicate the grounds for your request. An exception to policy is warranted only in cases involving unusual or extenuating circumstances that normally would not be faced by other students. Circumstances such as failing class, minor illnesses, work conflicts, car trouble, etc., are not generally considered grounds for an exception to policy, nor does modification of the record for the sake of appearance constitute a justification for exception to policy.
Important: All your requests must be documented with verifiable proof. Please review the following examples:
1) Misadvisement/Misinformation. A faculty member or staff member at the university gave you wrong information. If this is the basis of your request, verification of the mis-advisement MUST be submitted in writing from that individual faculty or staff member.
2) Unreasonable obstacles. A requirement is physically impossible for you to complete. This must be verified (e.g., a doctor’s written statement verifying the condition).
3) Circumstances beyond the student’s control. The University made a mistake in processing paperwork; the computer system was down, unit was activated, etc. Students MUST provide verifiable documentation of these circumstances.
4) Other reasonable grounds.
• Since burden of proof rests with you, the student, submit the documentation of the circumstances that prevented you from adhering to policy. (Please note: This is the documentation of the unusual or extenuating circumstances that normally would not be faced by other students which we require. This can be a doctor’s note, an accident report, a police report, a psychiatrist’s note, etc.)
• Petitions are reviewed as soon as possible. Please allow approximately 1 week for petitions to be reviewed. The results of your petition will be mailed to you.
• We recommend you keep a copy of your petition, the documentation, and the verifications for your personal records.
ALL PETITIONS MUST BE COMPLETE UPON SUBMISSION.
ANY PETITION THAT IS INCOMPLETE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
You can mail your petitions to:
WSU Admissions Office
1137 University Circle
Ogden UT 84408-1137